Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end drips (not a joke) I put in a new pinion seal but it still drips. The axle vent is clear and the drip isn't under the seal but at the U-joint yoke. Where and why is this a leak ? I would think the spline would be tight and not allow a leak plus how much pressure could there be at the spline

Attachments

·
Registered
9,031 Posts
The pinion nut has sealant factory applied on the threads and the face of the flange. If you re-used your original, then you need to replace it with a new one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I haven't got my lazy butt out to the pole barn yet. It's cold here in MI and to many leafs to clean up

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I put a bead of RTV around the nut and a little on the treads, then tighten the nut until it was about 1 turn short. My pole barn is 50 degrees so I let it set for 2 days and then tighten the rest of the way. Couple of day's later I filled the rear end with dope and drove it----- NO leaks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Unless your pinion shaft is hollow, then axle grease can't get to the nut without going past the seal If there isn't a bushing in the nose of the housing (for the yoke), then you'll probably need to put a wear-sleeve on your yoke to make it fit tighter in the seal.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Travis your yoke is on a spline and it's not a pressed fit so lube can seep out the spline and if it's not sealed at the nut you have a leak. I have heard that new shaft nuts come with a bead of sealant for just that .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Travis your yoke is on a spline and it's not a pressed fit so lube can seep out the spline and if it's not sealed at the nut you have a leak. I have heard that new shaft nuts come with a bead of sealant for just that .
Well, rmengel, it looks like I've been doing all my rear yoke work wrong during my 60 years in the automotive field. I've never had one leak and I've never used any sealant. I'd better run out and buy some lottery tickets.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
EDIT: Somehow I ended up posting in the wrong thread.

Nothing to see here.

Over here however is where the post was actually supposed to be in the first place.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would look to see if the pinion shaft is worn. You might need a repair sleeve.
Why there is no leak now, the pinion is a spline and the seal is on the yoke. If it had leaked from the seal it would have driped off of the housing and my leak was coming from inside the yoke at the nut

1 - 20 of 25 Posts