Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a set of factory Ford 3.55 gears for my 8" I am going to use. I read in my old school shop manual that the ring and pinion have timing Mark's, meaning set one marked tooth on the pinion between two marked teeth on the ring. Do they all have those? I can't see find any on mine at all. I didn't remove them or I would have marked them

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
I don't think timing marks would matter. With an odd number of teeth on each gear the timing marks would only line up something like once in every thousand revolutions. Some mathmetician can calculate it for us.

·
Registered
21,021 Posts
Never heard of that but I do believe there are numbers for pinion depth on that specific matched ring and pinion for assembly. Instead of using compound to check mesh, on the assembly line the workers would know exactly what amount of shims on the pinion

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
Got a set of factory Ford 3.55 gears for my 8" I am going to use. I read in my old school shop manual that the ring and pinion have timing Mark's, meaning set one marked tooth on the pinion between two marked teeth on the ring. Do they all have those? I can't see find any on mine at all. I didn't remove them or I would have marked them
The the gearset is the "hunting" type it would be pointless.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts