Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 coupe. This car was originally a six cylinder car, but of course I took care of that. It now has a 289, with many mods. I want to put a set of 411 rear end gears in it, but I don't want to have to change axle and spindles, etc..My spindles now are four lug. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
35,324 Posts
IIRC 67 & up 6-bangers all had 8" rears, so go on out and buy a set of 4.11's and bolt 'em on up. BTW, let us know how long it takes to shear off the wheel studs.

'66 A-code Fastback (therapy)
'89 Town Car (SWMBO D'driver)
'87 Caprice (as req'd by Hagerty)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoa! No, 8" were not standard in 6 cyl cars till 1969. If you still have the original 6 cyl rearend it is an integral carrier type with a 7.25" ring gear and 4 lug axles. Not to be confused with the later Fox chasis 7.25" though.

Are you running disk brakes even? That would be the first thing I did. That and find an 8" rearend.

If it is the original rearend, C4 cars had 2.80 gears and 3 sp manual cars had 3.20 gears.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't an 8" rearend require me to change spindles from four lug to five? I am desperately trying to avoid doing that. I have a brand new set of wheels on the car and I would hate to have to replace them...lol!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't do it man!!!!!!!!! It will cost ya more in the long run. You current rear end probably won't hold up. Put a 8" in, do it right and do it once. Learned the hard way.........the cheap fix can cost more than doing it right.....

69 Mach

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're probably right. I was just hoping there was an easy way around it!...Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I like my 6. $6,500 is too much to convert to a V8

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is a way to run an 8" with 4 lug axles. Mavericks had 4 lug 8" rears in the early years on 6 cyl cars. The rearend is a bit narrower but it shouldn't hurt anything if you have a positve offset anyhow.

I can't see why in the world you would even drive a 289 with "mods" and only have 6 cyl brakes. You're braver than me my freind. I'm keeping the six but have V8 brakes going on.

John

[color:blue]'68 Coupe
250/C4, 221 Argentine Head
Breakaway Converter, 9", 3.50's/T-lock</font color=blue>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 289 with "mods" is mostly a car I only drive about once a week. It's not like I take it to the track every weekend. I do dragrace my idiot friends with their bumblebee exhaust hondas, gotta put them in their place every once in awhile. My drum brakes work fine, believe it or not. And it was worth it to me to convert to the v-8.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts