Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My beloved PO used to have air bags in the rear because he kept chewing up the
sidewalls of his back tires when they would rub on the quarter edges. After pulling
the air bags ( and the broken leaf spring ) from the car, I now can see why he
was having problems. It seems he had put a 9" rear end from a 71-73 (61.5")
into the 68 (59.5").

Now Ive got the rear end installed after replacing the springs and shocks and
bushings. But should I run it? The leaf springs are each kicked outboard by
about an inch due to the spring perches. Is this going to be trouble and should
I be looking to re-tube the rear? Or should I just pull off the quater panel trim so that
it clears the tires and save my pennies for a complete rear end overhaul in a year
or two?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Get a Granada rear end. It's slimmer than a standard housing for wider tires and comes with disc brakes. The set up now could lead to breakdown and drivability problems. I wouldn't want to take to many turns at speed in the car and have the springs break. I would want to even think of the damage it would do to the car or the jeopardy it would put you in.
Just because your PO did it.... Should you.....?

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
If I'm reading this correctly the spring perches are not lined up properly and the springs are actually bent out to meet with them???

I would suggest picking up a cheap 8" as a temporary fix for now while you build a nice and proper 9". Also, avoid the Versailles rear (the one that actually has the disc brakes) ... there are a ton of aftermarket disc kits that will be nicer at the same total cost. Of course rear discs are mainly for show anyway.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Agree with Jay, don't run it like that. The very least you should do is reposition those spring perches. After that it depends what wheels, rims and offsets you want to run. With the spring perches properly positioned I think you could get away without narrowing the housing. (I think but am not positive)

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - I'll take your advice. It looked pretty iffy to me as well but I can
get pretty anal about these things sometimes and it gets hard to tell if I'm
being prudent or just picky.

I'll definitely move the perches and probably go through a full re-build if
I can swing it.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Maybe you could find someone to switch (swap) housings with you for your proper clearance (you could keep the chunk, or not).

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
you can get some late model mustang rims like i have in my signature. They have more backspacing than the early model ones. There's a lot of them for sale cheap on when mustang people try to rice there rides and dump off 15" rims for 20" ones.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No, no, no...think safety here!! What you need to do is yank that nasty 9" out of there, install a 3:55 traction loc if it doesn't have one, and then send that bad boy down here to me. I would not want to have anything on my conscience if you had a wreck with that thing in there. Do you need my address?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts