Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

I have a '66 mustang with a 302, t-5 tanny and stock rear end. As it's running, it makes a winding noise when I accelerate and stops when I get my foot off the gas. Also, say it's running at a given speed, and I get it out of gear, the car runs very smooth and the winding stops. The sound seems to be coming from the rear axle but I'm not sure. It doesn't seem to be the transmission.

Any ideas anyone????

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Assuming the gear set has not been recently changed I would suspect a pinion bearing is the culprit. BUT....it could also be the backlash has grown to the point where the gears are whining because of wear.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I think there's a bearing problem in the diff...pretty much with pprince said. I've got this same thing going on in my 96GT, and had it torn down once for inspection. The result was bad carrier bearings. At the time I didn't have the $$ to get it fixed but I know I'll have to deal with it sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My Jeep Cherokee was doing the same exact thing. Eventually the whining turned to a howling sound. The rear gears were eating themselves up. Ended up needing a complete rebuild with a whole new carrier and gears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you fellows. Seems like it's definitely the rear end. I'll have it checked out. Any idea how much it will be to fix the problem. I know it depends on what they find - but what do you think?

·
Registered
669 Posts
If I remember correctly, the estimate was around $1100 in my case. That was to tear it down, install new bearings and put it all back together. I do not believe new gears were part of the estimate.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
$1,100 is unreasonable.

A rebuild kit is ~$100 plus the labour for r&r. It should cost around $4-500

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just went through this with my '64-1/2. Gear noise would come at 25 mph, increase at 35, then decrease slightly at higher speeds. It would disappear as soon as I let off the gas. I pulled the axles (no big deal), then the pumpkin. I noticed that the gears weren't quite smooth as they rotated together. I took it to my mechanic, and he said that someone had tried to shim the slop out of it, and ruined the gears. He said to order new ring/pinion gears and the bearing/seal kit, and he'd set them up for $200 labor. He also warned me about cheap gears, and how they would not last. I ordered a Yukon set from Randy's for about $500. I put it back together with new rear brakes (optional, but a good time to do it) for another $150 (new drums). It was an easy job, and I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Kinda apples and oranges because a Ford 8" is nothing like a Dana 35, but my Jeep was $1600 for parts and labor. If you buy a rebuilt trac-loc carrier off of eBay for $700-$800, you could do all the axle bearings and seals relatively cheap. Swapping out the center sections on Ford rear ends is pretty easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts