Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm happy to report that last night I made progress towards getting my car driveable again (it's been sitting up in the garage pending some repairs). I resolve the oil leak mystery that has plagued me for quite some time; it was either a bad fuel pump or a faulty gasket installation. I replaced the fuel pump last night; it appeared that the PO did nothing to seal the gasket. It slid right off and left a clean surface on both sides. The bottom of it was chewed up -- this is why I think something was wrong with the pump. It would vibrate violently when running.

Now.....I'm turning my attention to the rest of the car. After replacing the fuel pump last night I took the car for a drive 'round the neighborhood.

As I slowly backed out of the driveway, I heard a metallic knocking sound as if I had hit something. There were strong vibrations sent through the car as if I was running over something. The noises seemed to come from the rear of the car.

I got the car onto the road and started forward. About a half mile down the road (as I was going around 25mph), I started to hear a fairly loud banging noise, again from the rear of the car. This stopped after I slowed and stopped. I never heard the noises or felt the vibrations again as I went to gas up and head back home.

I read a bit on these forums and in my 68 shop manual about these sorts of problems. I might have a problem with the ring or pinion gears, but I'm not sure as I'm not a differential expert (or even novice). I do notice that there seems to be some fluid leakage around the rear end housing.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions? I'd appreciate anything at this point. I don't want to shread my rear end to smithereens.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
First I would make sure your wheel lugs are torqued properly and not loose. Next check you rear brake hardware to make sure something didn't come loose or break. Next check you shocks and springs for damage or binding. Since you have a six-cyl it could also be a broken ring, pinion, or spider gear in the diff (I've broken several of these rears.)

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Excellent info/suggestions in the post above. Also you might also check the fluid level in the differential.

John Harvey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts