Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning fellow enthusiasts,

I have ordered a 9" to place into my car. My front end is SOT all in gloss black and figured I would have housing done the same to match the front end. I do want to paint it similar to a stock unit. So I will paint the pinion snubber (natural paint) and thought about painting the third member with red oxide primer and then sealing it with satin clear. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
606 Posts
Will the clear be shot with a gun or rattle can? Sometimes rattle can clears can yellow, But it has been a LONG time since any rattle can clear other then that, Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the clear be shot with a gun or rattle can? Sometimes rattle can clears can yellow, But it has been a LONG time since any rattle can clear other then that, Sounds good to me.
Thanks! It will be rattle can. I don't have a compressor or gun.

Chris

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Powder coat the housing with a satin black finish. it will hold up nicely. Gloss will show every imperfection in the housing.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Powder coat the housing with a satin black finish. it will hold up nicely. Gloss will show every imperfection in the housing.
Thank you! Do you have pic of yours? I was just thinking glossy as its so easy to wipe down(ie the front suspension) but I do like the idea of it not showing every imperfection although its a completely new unit.

Chris

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Thank you! Do you have pic of yours? I was just thinking glossy as its so easy to wipe down(ie the front suspension) but I do like the idea of it not showing every imperfection although its a completely new unit.

Chris
This is my 65 with currie housing powder coated in satin black and base coat clear coat on the third member. She's a little dusty but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
We exclusively use GLYPTAL which is armature paint. Very very durable..has a slight sheen..brushed on and flows nicely while hardening.
Here's a factory 5 cobra we're building . I've had my diff powdercoated in satin black with GLYPTAL on the carrier section for over 15 years and it is still sharp looking.
John

Attachments

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,293 Posts
I have a 70 mach and am taking my rear end out for a refresh and dutchman axles. My painting will be as follows. Rear axle housing, semi gloss black. Differential Duplicolor red oxide with rustolium semi gloss clear over it. snubber bumper bracket, eastwood detail gray paint. I will use eastwood pre painting prep. Your 65-66 mustang maybe different, maybe. Search on ConcoursMustang Forums - Index

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my 65 with currie housing powder coated in satin black and base coat clear coat on the third member. She's a little dusty but you get the idea.
Thank you! I do like how that looks. What gear do you have in yours? I went with a nodular pumpkin as well, I finalized on 3.50s with a Truetrack and 31 splines.

We exclusively use GLYPTAL which is armature paint. Very very durable..has a slight sheen..brushed on and flows nicely while hardening.
Here's a factory 5 cobra we're building . I've had my diff powdercoated in satin black with GLYPTAL on the carrier section for over 15 years and it is still sharp looking.
John
I have heard of that, but never seen it. It looks like it was sprayed on!! Where did you get it?

I had a custom mix of 2k paint made that looks like red oxide.
I really like that, is your housing gloss black? I think thats what Im still leaning towards as I want my front and rear to match although no one will ever see it lol.

Chris

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I chose to have a body shop to clean housing, skim coat it, then spray coat with a good glossy enamel paint. That was back in 2004, still looks just as good now.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
3.89 gears REM treated from Roush racing with G force locker and ARP hardware, 31 spline axles. It was used in one of their Nascar setups. If you like gloss go with it. It will look great.

·
Registered
518 Posts
John
Is Glyptal 1201A what you used?

Here's the description I found online, "The outstanding all-purpose paint. Although 1201 was originally developed as an insulating paint for electrical applications such as the treatment of coils and armatures, its outstanding resistance to corrosion, moisture, oil, acid, heat, dust and salt spray has made it popular throughout the industry as a Primer, Sealer, Adhesive and Protective Finish. There are literally hundreds of uses for 1201. " LINK

I'd be a bit worried about its insulating properties when used on a rear end since oil gets hot and that heat needs to dissipate somewhere. Not sure how that compares to other paints, but its something that I'd take into consideration. If it works, it works, but something to consider. Has me thinking how the 9" does most of it's cooling? Other heavy duty applications with rear covers have cooling fins but that obviously can't be done with the 9".

·
Registered
263 Posts
...I'd be a bit worried about its insulating properties when used on a rear end since oil gets hot and that heat needs to dissipate somewhere. ...
Its insulation as in electrical insulation, not temperature. You'll be fine.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone used this on their 3rd member? It looks like all you have to do is shoot it and forget it. No topcoat necessary or primer?

And its a matte finish

Chris

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
Nice!

·
Super Moderator
10,765 Posts
I chose to have a body shop to clean housing, skim coat it, then spray coat with a good glossy enamel paint. That was back in 2004, still looks just as good now.

Nice!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Has anyone used this on their 3rd member? It looks like all you have to do is shoot it and forget it. No topcoat necessary or primer?

And its a matte finish

Chris
Sure if it's rusty and you don't want to get rid of the rust. I pulled mine and sandblasted it then used epoxy primer and Eastwood 2K Chassis Black in satin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts