Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilema...

My differential is leaking and flinging lubricant all over the underside of the car. I'm thinking it's the seal at the pinion. How tough is it for a guy of average mechanical ability, in his driveway, without removing the differential, to remove the yoke, and replace the seal?

Any help will really be appriciated!

Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
shouldn`t be too big a deal on the street-if you have the removable carrier type differential--if you do jack it up,put jack stands underneath, remove driveshaft,remove pinion bearing retainer nut,flange,deflector and unbolt retainer-the seal is in there- replace it and repeat steps backwards--oh and don`t forget to disconnect negative battery cable(ha ha)you might have to deal with the front pinion bearing and spacer-- torque them correctly for bearing preload THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT!grease the new seal contact points(the sealing part)white grease should work or gear oil will do---hope this help you out* P/S It might be the retainer flange leaking cause it loose try retorquing before anything maybe it`s just loose-- weird stuff happens--GOOD LUCK

G

·
0 Posts
I was under the impression this is a job that couldn't be done with the rear on the car based on the tremendous amount of torque needed to tighten things up and get things apart.

Here is an excellent post by Pat on the procedure:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showthreaded.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=434908&page=&view=&sb=&o=

If you're successful doing this without removing the rear then please post a follow-up. If you haven't already guessed I have a pinion leak too that will need to be addressed with the car in the street.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts