Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my 8 inchs rear on my 69, 302, 3 speed is on the way out......way too much play. i'd like to put a 9 inch rear in there. only what gears and other specifications do i go with? here are my requirements: currently i have a 302, 3 speed. i will eventually be putting a 351 clevland and a 4 speed in there. the car is not and will not be for racing. it is strictly a street drivable car. any recomendations? thanks Justin

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You can put a 9" under there. But a 8" will take the power just fine. Have it rebuilt & add some 3.55's or 3.73's or if you really wanna jump go up to 4.11

66 Coupe, 302, Auto, 3.25 gears. [color:red]Candyapple Red</font color=red> with White Pearl Stripes. Cragars.
http://web.infoave.net/~ronniek

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Give some thought to rebuilding your 8 incher first (much play is usually worn or damaged spider gears). Ratio wise, the best compromise between economy and performance would probably be 3.55s. Just my $.02.

Mustang Lovers ---- A Box-O-Choclates !!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
You might want to consider the late model 8.8" rear end, also. It's between the 8" and 9" in strength and the version from a Ford Explorer is about perfect for your '69. Disk brakes, ratios in the 3.55 to 3.73 range, and 31 spline axles came on most later Explorers.

Check my website for more details:
http://1trick.stangnet.com/faq/8.8rear.html

Dave J

So many Mustangs, so little time!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Call Curry Enterprises and talk to them. I am getting ready to put 3.55 into my 65 2+2 and they said to stick with the 8 inch. Better millage and it can handle the horses. They sell 8 inch posi third members complete.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flink65,
If you haven't purchased your 3.55s, I'd consider selling mine to you. I'm getting ready to go w/ an AOD and I think I'd prefer 4.11s over my 3.55s. The 3.55s are fine w/ a C-4, but w/ an AOD I'm gonna want more gear. I'd probably just sell my 3.55 third member, and get the 4.11 third member from Curry.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burk, are those 3.55's for 9 or 8". I have 3.89 in mine now and think I went too far. 80mph=4000 rpm.

67 mustang coupe
70 mustang mach 1
88 mazda/ford mx-6

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 3:55s are 8" limited slip

'68 Coupe, Modified 289 w/ Holley blower
'65 Convertible (future 66 Shelby GT350 clone)
427 Cobra Replica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts