Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my car the rear end sits about 1/2 in closer to the pass side than it does on the drivers, My pass side tire is sitting pretty much on the fender where the drivers side has tons of room. anyway to fix this, is there anyway to shift the rear end over a little?

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
have someone drive behind you to see if the car goes down the road straight or sideways. if it goes sideways it could be a bent frame rail due to a wreck. if it goes straight the quarter panel could have ben replaced due to wreck and not aligned properly. if none of the above you can thank ford for a standard mustang assymbly. the left quarter on a 66 i had stuck out more on the right. b 4 i bought it i was looking in the trunk and noticed the outer fenderwell had ben hammered on. i also noticed non factory welds. the left quarter had ben replaced. that was in the 1970's.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yep, sounds like suspect body work...
If the quarters are aligned properly, then you may need a frame straightener to get right... $$$
Do you have any buckling in the trunk on either side of the gas tank, by chance?

·
Registered
823 Posts
If the car hasn't been hit, but some mechanical work has been done to it, it could be that the rear isn't sitting on the rear springs properly. Check the tubes on the rear and see if the spring pads are seated in the proper location. I had a friend with a Pontiac and it was "crab walking" down the street. When we got under the car, we discovered the rear end was 2+ inches off to the right side of the car.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, sounds like suspect body work...
If the quarters are aligned properly, then you may need a frame straightener to get right... $$$
Do you have any buckling in the trunk on either side of the gas tank, by chance?

the car is fairly original and is straight as an arrow. I just replaced the leafs so maybe it just needs to be fiddled with?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Even original cars can be out of true...
I would still, for peace of mind, have the frame checked for alignment.
you can then check that off your list and start looking elsewhere...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since I do alot of rear end housing work, I cut off alot of leaf spring pads from all different types of cars to install the rear ends in other cars. Rarely are the spring pads centered on the housings. Sometimes they can be 3/8 of an inch off. Leaf springs are also not perfectly centered either. These cars were made on an assembly line, and the tolerances were pretty big, so add a non centered rear end housing to a leaf spring that is not centered, and it can add up to 1/2" easily.

·
Premium Member
10,952 Posts
i had about 10 (i loose count sometimes) 65-66 mustangs over the years. the fit of the bolt on body panels wasnt good. the top of the quarter panel seam on the last 65 i had was all messed up and further inspection revealed it was welded before being all the way in place at the factory. i'v looked at a lot of early mustangs over the years and dont see what i call a perfect FIT panel car very often. the bolt on panels on the 65 i have now fit "perfect" and thats pretty rare. this morning i looked at the rear and it looks to about 1/4" inch to the right. another thing is the rear shakles have rubber bushings on top and bottom and it could be the car just happens to sit to one side when parked. if you have someone drive the car and you look out the window when going around a corner you will see the rear tires shift from side to side. as long as the car goes down the road straight its not a problem. ford was selling the mustang as fast as they could make them and the quality wasnt the best. the mustang was designed to compete with the chebby rear engine corviar(ralph nader) and was built as an "inexpensive" car. Carol Shelby called the mustang a "secretarys car" !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts