Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaaaaccck! The driveshaft shop isn't working this weekend, so I have to swap rear ends tonight in order to have the measurements for the new shaft first thing in the morning so they can do it tomorrow. All of this so I can finish the 9" install this weekend. The good news is that the work isn't all that challenging - I figure to get the old one out in an hour or so, the new one in far enough to measure in another 45 min - I don't plan to do brake lines until the weekend, don't want to hurry on those - :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Cosmo,
Did you build the rear yourself? We pulled mine last night and I'm looking for recommendations on a good shop to rebuild it. I'm going to take those 3.89s out and put in something a little more highway friendly, like 3.0 or 3.25.
I also thing I'll go with a posi since we're in there. I've checked out Currie's website but was hopingto do a little comparison shopping.
Thanks and good luck

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Brianb:

I would recommend "The Gearman" They are in Garden Grove Ca.
They rebuilt my rearend and did excellent work, At a very reasonable price.

I do not know if they do rebuilts and shipping.

Enclosed is the phone number you can ask
phone 714-537-9495 ask for Bill

·
4,143 Posts
Ken, Who is doing your driveshaft? Or let me rephrase the question. Are you getting a new shaft or having your old one cut and balanced? I am going to take the one that I got with my rear and have it shortened and balanced at Anaheim balance shop. They did my engine 20 years ago, and they want 60 bucks to cut and balance. fd

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the whole rear end built at Currie in Anaheim. It's a custom made housing, one of their specialties.

Inland Empire Driveline is building me a new driveshaft. They overhauled and balanced the stock one six months ago, just fine. I don't want to modify the stock shaft, because it would be marginal for the beating Lolita's 388 is capable of generating. :D

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
If I were to hazard a guess based on the 9" I put in SWMBO`s vert, I would say it needs to be 1" shorter ;)

G

·
I'm having my stock 8" rebuilt and the drive shaft rebuilt by a place in Vista next month. It has been my experience that it is cheaper and less stressfull to have a pro do it. Plus you get a warranty wich you own garage(home)won't give you. ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Well, I got the wrong fit dust cover that mounts between the block and bellhousing and its already squashed in there with everything else assembled around it! I was going to remove the tranny, bellhousing and clutch to replace it with the right one and didn't make it that far tonite. Sunday is the soonest now... Good luck with your projects this weekend!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts