Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am new to the forum - recently bought a 67 coupe which has a 302 and a T5 tremec, but still has all the i6 brakes, rear end, etc. I found a complete (but very dirty) rear with drum brakes from a 68 fastback. This would accomplish my desire for a 5 lug upgrade and I assume would make the swap relatively straightforward? Would this fit right in without any cutting/welding needed? Appreciate any advice you can offer, thanks!

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I can’t really verify it - it’s a Craigslist post and the guy says he Is upgrading to a 9” for his fastback rebuild.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Is the tag still attached to the bolt?
Does he have a fastback minus the rear?

Many here will be able to ID it by the picture and measurements, not me, lol.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
Be sure to verify the bolt pattern so you don't get a truck rear.
I don't know if you would want a different drive shaft or not.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes, if you have a 67 , the rear end from a 68 fastback will fit, I just did this swap 2 months ago,very straightforward

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
4,174 Posts
IIRC the leaf spring pad is 43" center to center. If it is then it will bolt in. Are you still 4 lug up front?

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah still 4 lug up front - plan do do a disc conversion up there as well. Thanks for all the info so far.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
The narrow 8" rear end for the '65/'66 Mustang had axle tubes that "pinched down" in diameter out near the spring perches. Your rear end axle tubes are the same diameter all the way so you have the correct rear end. The spring perches should measure 43" across, center-to-center. And I'm sure the 8" rear end was ever installed in a truck so you don't need to worry about the wheel bolt pattern.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Definitely not from a truck......the spring perches are on the bottom side of the tube....trucks are above the tube....:)

sandybob

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Coupe
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the help folks. I ended up making the 6 hour round trip to pick this thing up - and it’s perfect, and in excellent shape thanks to the previous owners never maintaining it and allowing it to be coated in 30 years of filth - what is beneath has zero rust and is waiting for a refurb. Looking forward to getting it sorted and the. Upgrading the mustang to 5 lug. I’ll post some pictures once it’s all cleaned up.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
When you get to see it in person, be sure and spin the pinion and feel for any grinding or chattering. Otherwise it may require a rebuild and that would figure into the price you pay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts