Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a measurement on some of your cars as to how wide the total rear track is measured from the outside edge of the tire across to the other outside edge of the tire. tell me what rear end you are using,what rim size and bs and what size tire. this is on a 64/65/66 . i am looking at using the 95-01 explorer disc rear under my 66 with a 17x8 wheel w/4 1/4 bs and need to see if i will have to narrow up the housing for it to fit. thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i am looking for the outside measurement though from some actual cars with different wheel/tire combos and offsets to see how wide the total combo is since we are lowering the body onto the frame and the wheels/tire combo will sit inside of the wheel openings

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my guess puts it in the 67-68 inch total with the combo described above but wanted to see if that was even close/a friend of mine said his was 73 from far outside edge of his tire to the same on the other side but that seemed like a lot

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
thanks, i am looking for the outside measurement though from some actual cars with different wheel/tire combos and offsets to see how wide the total combo is since we are lowering the body onto the frame and the wheels/tire combo will sit inside of the wheel openings
You're kinda working at this backwards. Wheels can be had in any backspacing you want (within reason). Because of this the actual measurement you're looking for is officially "depends" (on whatever wheels are being used). With the 8.8 in early Mustangs the critical issue is insuring proper driveline angles. Because the pinion is offset, just setting that explorer diff under your car will have the driveshaft kicking off at an angle; not running straight down the driveshaft tunnel. As noted in your thread in the main forum, this will likely require different length axle tubes in the 8.8 so as to have the axle flanges in the same relative spot in each wheel housing. I suggest you make some decisions about what wheels you want to run. Then determine the visual look you want with respect to backspacing. Calculate where the hub needs to be inside the wheel housing for this wheel/tire combo to fit and then measure between those two points. Then you'll know what width you need to look for(or build).

I'm not wanting to discourage you 'cause the 8.8 is a good rear and the discs are certainly a bonus.

- Gord

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually the wheels i am looking at come in very limited backspacing options and am trying to determine if they are even an option. the explorer rear end will work just fine and the install is being done by a very competent chassis shop.he is welding the perches on from scratch so pinion angle will not be a concern.the tunnel in the car will also be from scratch . there are several members on this board who have also installed the explorer rears in their stock uncut 65/66 with no problems. by asking for different measurements and combos, i wanted to see approx how much space different combos take up. ultimately the wheel and bs decision will not be made until the chassis is done. just trying to do some preplanning and look at different wheel options as there are several companies making the cobra halibrand knock offs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts