Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So that step they put in the end of the repair rail that is supposed to fit into the existing frame is pretty poor, it really does not work well, to add to that I am not going to cut that much metal length out of my rail so I need to recreate that step or something better.

I was thinking about drilling a few holes in the sides of each end and plug welding some longer plate metal to the inside of the replacement piece (a U shape inside) that would match the ID of the cars frame with more precision, then weld it all up with a cleaner but joint on the outside and welding on the inside etc..

Do you think this would be better than trying to redo that crimp? It seems to me that you cant get the hard sharp edges in the crimp needed to get the new and old to mate up snug for a cleaner look. I dont want a ton of weld trying to fill that gap basically, it cant do that thin metal any good..

Does this sound like a decent plan?

·
Registered
379 Posts
plug welding in the plate on the inside would be stronger than just having that crimped end inside the rail. IF you do it the way you described, you should be just fine.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
That is more or less how I did mine.

I made a narrower u channel out of rust free sections of the original rail by bending them around a pc of 2 x 4 that I ripped to the right narrower width.

I also seam welded the inside of each end of the u channel insert as well as plug welded from the outside.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts