Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everyone,

I am replacing the last 12" or so of my rear frame rails, this will include replacing the rear crossmember support and trunk floor. Does anyone have experience with this? I am trying to decide if I can get away with NOT removing the tail light panel.

Also, would just one support across the top of the trunk, tying the two fenders together be sufficient for support?

Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
From my limited experience I say you should be able to replace without removing the tailight panel, although getting the new one in place might take some persuasion. Maybe some VERY gentle outward force on the panel.
One support should be fine, but don't get too wrapped up in it. Measure before and during the operation. You might find that the old one is not quite as level and square as it was when it left the factory, might not even been real close when it did leave the factory. I had to rebuild most of my trunk area and I am quite certain the dimensions are closer now than they ever were.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hunting. I'm also just going to do one side at a time. After digging into it some more I just ordered a new tail light panel just to use as sacrificial sheet metal where I need it. Ill post of some pics once I get further along. It just took me 6 hours just to get a leaf spring out so it's gonna be a slow process

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Thanks hunting. I'm also just going to do one side at a time. After digging into it some more I just ordered a new tail light panel just to use as sacrificial sheet metal where I need it. Ill post of some pics once I get further along. It just took me 6 hours just to get a leaf spring out so it's gonna be a slow process

Yeah, those front bolts on leaf springs are killers. I think I used every tool I had but my paint sprayer in getting mine out.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,219 Posts
Been there done that..PM sent.

·
Super Moderator
10,911 Posts
Yeah, those front bolts on leaf springs are killers. I think I used every tool I had but my paint sprayer in getting mine out.
I finally used a Sawzall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts