Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am looking for some imput here on my next part of my project on the 65 Fastback. I am finishing the floors & I am ready to proceed to the rear frame rails which are rotted at the rear spring attching points. It needs both rear frame rails sectioned & about 15-18 inches replaced. It also needs a tail light panel the the floor sections of the trunk replaced along with the gas tank support lips. Is this something I should under take or let a body shop do? Any help on this matter is appreciated.
Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Someone posted an article about welding and I think it had some thing in there about rear frame rails. It was a post from today I think.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes, there was a message earlier today with a link to an ezine "how to". Good pictures, not to much text.

My 66 needs about the same as yours, but I have no welding experience nor any of the tools I would need. If I had someone to show me how, I could probably do it, but my fear of making a bad situtation worse keeps me from attempting it. I've found a local body shop who charges $50 per hour and "guesstimate" 40 hours to replace the rear frame rails, inner wheel wells, tail light panel (where needed), etc. PLUS parts (he wants me to buy all the body parts and he'll take off what he needs for repair. He says that it will be cheaper than if he had to make the patches from scratch.

Sounds like you already have some welding under your belt. If space and time are not an issue, you may be able to handle it yourself. I envy folks that can do these things. I'm an okay mechanic, but haven't done any body work yet. Got my own FEAR FACTOR thing going....

Good luck.

G

·
0 Posts
Just a note; I have welded in all the panels you have mentioned several times. In my opinion, the floors are relatively easy. When you get into frame rails and rear tail light panel there are fit issues that need to be considered closely. Measure what you have, record the numbers for reference and use them when reinstalling the panels in the rear. Also, install the truck deck and insure proper clearances before you weld in the rear panel. I’ve seen the center section pushed out too far which causes the trunk deck to have to be adjusted toward the rear leaving a larger than desired crack between the trunk deck and the panel behind the rear glass.

Floors are more forgiving if alignment is not correct; some of the other panels are not.

I don't mean to discourage you from performing the work. It can be very satisfying when successfully completed, not to mention cost saving. I just want you to realize there is more to consider than what you have completed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts