Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so I have a 66 mustang that needs Floor pans which I am looking into to purchase. However, the rear frame rails that connects to the torque boxes are crushed, cracked, and rusted. So my question is should I replace the entire rear frame rail, can I just replace the front portion of it, or should I attempt to bend it back and patch it. I am restoring the car so the oblivious answer would be to replace it, but I have a short budget and won't have that kind of time. The rest of the frame rail is solid, just the begging portion is bad. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Thats a tough call but for me if the rest of the rail is good I would only replace the front section that is bad. To replace the entire frame and leave the rest of the metal in good working order will require a lot of work. Now if the trunk floor is bad, rear frame section is bad then I may just go for the complete rail. Whatever you only do one side at a time and take measurements from one side to the other side up and down and diagonally. I even use a plumb bob and drop center points and lay it all out on the garage floor. Do this anyways even for just a section.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, that is pretty rough. I don't see how the torque box is that rough and the the aft section of the frame rail could be in decent shape, but I suppose it's possible. It could be rotting from the inside out. Those dark,wet areas are prime areas for corrosion. I replaced everything and I do mean every piece that Dynacorn sells for my 69, but I know it's solid now. I suppose it depends on your goals, but looking at the pictures, I think I would go for complete rails/torque boxes. They are literally the backbone of your car. Check your rocker panels too. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I have seen cars with just the rear section needing replaced but seeing what I see I too think it will be a complete frame.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, that is pretty rough. I don't see how the torque box is that rough and the the aft section of the frame rail could be in decent shape, but I suppose it's possible. It could be rotting from the inside out. Those dark,wet areas are prime areas for corrosion. I replaced everything and I do mean every piece that Dynacorn sells for my 69, but I know it's solid now. I suppose it depends on your goals, but looking at the pictures, I think I would go for complete rails/torque boxes. They are literally the backbone of your car. Check your rocker panels too. Good luck.
Thanks. The torque boxes are shot but the rockers and the upper parts of the frame rail appear to be in sturdy condition. There are no floor pans almost whatsoever. Most of the rust is from sitting I believe rather than mostly salt. I would replace the whole rails but I'm going to college 100+miles away so I don't really have the money or time, unless I want it to be a many years long project... which it might have to be

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not much savable in that picture. Whether it was just sitting or salt, rust is rust and you need to keep cutting until you find unrusty sheetmetal. I'm afraid you will be looking at a much larger project than you think. Take your time, do it right and the final product will be much more rewarding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replace the front portion of it, or should I attempt to bend it back and patch it. I am restoring the car so the oblivious answer would be to replace it, but I have a short budget and won't have that kind of time 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf . The rest of the frame rail is solid, just the begging portion is bad. Thoughts?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts