Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bit of a problem, I have a 72 mustang convertible with a 351 CJ and a C6 trany. I have now 3.73 gears and 275 50 15 Ta's on the rear and find it just too low geared, I'm in drive by 30 mph. I do mostly in town driving but the odd highway jont. of about 150 to 200 miles I know this engine eats gas like I drink beer but.......thats a hole different topic. What I want to know is what gear size would you run keeping the same engine and trany, but want some gooood performance from stoplight to stoplight to keep my dodge freind in check and still have some good highway milage.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I switched from 3.80 to a 3.50 and was pretty happy with the results. About 3k at 60 mph and good acceleration at the light. My overall tire height is pretty close to yours (about 0.2" difference). Not as good as an overdrive tranny, but a lot cheaper.

Lou

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Basically you have to choose between "stoplight to stoplight" and "gas station to gas station" performance. My son has 3.73's in his car and I have 3.55's in mine. These were replacements of 2.75's and 2.79's respectively. While they both provide great acceleration out of the hole, neither one is a really acceptable highway car any more. Lotsa noise and pitiful gas mileage. I think the AOD tranny would be the perfect answer for both of us.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the time you pay for gears, you could be half way to a tranny change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts