Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to buy new springs for the rear of my 65, which has a 400ish hp 351 in it, which may get bumped up to the 450ish neighborhood. The car will mainly be a street driven car, maybe a little drag strip time here and there, but mainly an aggressive street car.

I’ve been debating between the 150lb rear springs from Global West...
1964, 1965, 1966 Mustang Performance Leaf Springs 1-1/4" Drop Global West Suspension

And the 180 lb springs from Chassisworks....
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1850-mustang-64-73-mid-eye-4-12-leaf-spring-set.aspx

What is adding to my predicament (other than my complete lack of experience with handeling issues) it the fact that I’ll end up with a 22 gal fuel tank and I’m planning on putting diamond patterned plate steel in the trunk and behind the back seat, the battery is already back there. I’ll probably also build a bolt down system of some type to secure two drag radials in the trunk, because you never know when a drag race will break out. :) so anyway, I’ll probably be adding an extra 90-140 lbs (guesstimating) and I have no idea what effect that will have. I just don’t know if the extra weight will make me more likely to need the extra 30lbs of spring weight or not.

Also, if it matters, I’ll probably end up with Global West’s Aggressive Street Suspension Package on the front end... Global West 1964-66 Mustang aggressive street suspension package but that’s down the road a bit, and my plans seem to be evershifting.

Any input or advise would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,538 Posts
Neither of those are SAE-5160 Steel. You would do well to look at Maier's leafs made exclusively for them by Betts.

Also, you could use the search function above for the thread titled "Leaf Springs; what you should know".
Personally, I think it's a pretty good tutorial. :wink:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither of those are SAE-5160 Steel. You would do well to look at Maier's leafs made exclusively for them by Betts.

Also, you could use the search function above for the thread titled "Leaf Springs; what you should know".
Personally, I think it's a pretty good tutorial. :wink:
Thanks for the thread recommendation, it was a good read and informative.
I had also looked at the Maier springs to, but honestly, due to price I didn’t look very long. Maybe I should.

I’m a mid grade king of guy most of the time, I don’t want junk but I normally don’t need top notch either... Problem is sometimes all that’s available is junk and top of the line.

·
Registered
721 Posts
OK, I just went from 4.5 leaf mid-eye to 5 leaf reverse eye for autocross on my 66. The mid-eye was perfect for street driving, firm, but not jarring, and helped to get the back end to squat on launches, had no wheel hop. The 5 leaf is noticeably stiffer on the street, but prevents the back end from squatting and lifting the front (which is what I need). If you're gonna be primarily driving on the street, I suggest a 4.5 leaf spring mid-eye, its a nice driving spring but still provides a level of performance. As for the bushings, go Del-a-lum or poly up front, and use rubber in the shackles, basically turns your leaf into a sue do swing arm.

·
Registered
8,369 Posts
I’m about to buy new springs for the rear of my 65, which has a 400ish hp 351 in it, which may get bumped up to the 450ish neighborhood. The car will mainly be a street driven car, maybe a little drag strip time here and there, but mainly an aggressive street car.

I’ve been debating between the 150lb rear springs from Global West...
1964, 1965, 1966 Mustang Performance Leaf Springs 1-1/4" Drop Global West Suspension

And the 180 lb springs from Chassisworks....
https://www.cachassisworks.com/p-1850-mustang-64-73-mid-eye-4-12-leaf-spring-set.aspx

What is adding to my predicament (other than my complete lack of experience with handeling issues) it the fact that I’ll end up with a 22 gal fuel tank and I’m planning on putting diamond patterned plate steel in the trunk and behind the back seat, the battery is already back there. I’ll probably also build a bolt down system of some type to secure two drag radials in the trunk, because you never know when a drag race will break out. :) so anyway, I’ll probably be adding an extra 90-140 lbs (guesstimating) and I have no idea what effect that will have. I just don’t know if the extra weight will make me more likely to need the extra 30lbs of spring weight or not.

Also, if it matters, I’ll probably end up with Global West’s Aggressive Street Suspension Package on the front end... Global West 1964-66 Mustang aggressive street suspension package but that’s down the road a bit, and my plans seem to be evershifting.

Any input or advise would be appreciated.
A 160 is probably too much rate in the back of your 65/66, let
alone a 180. Believe it or not, the rear spring that matches
a 620 front w. Global West front end is a 150# leaf and their
del-a-lum shackle kit.
Ask me how I know.
The only reason for a 160 might be the extra rear weight
(sprung weight) you're contemplating.

There's some conflict in what you want to do with the car.
It's going to affect your suspension choices. The GW setup
you're looking at is mainly handling. It is not intended to be
the hot ticket for drag. The rear spring setup will do nothing
to corral 400 or 450 hp (there is no way).

I can't see those Alston springs worth a crap but they don't
look like a traction control spring. Rate alone doesn't do a
thing for traction control. The Maier spring will though, as
will the Global West L-10, L-11 and L-12.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
groho, thanks for the real life feedback, that helps a lot with my decision making.

GT289, thanks for the good info. The more I read the more I seem to lean to the Maier spring kit, despite the price (which sucks), which leads me to ask if you might know well they’d work the Global West kit I referenced earlier.

And for what it’s worth, I know I’m conflicted. I just want a car that handles like an Indy car, and takes off like a funny car but drives like a Bentley, all while getting Smart car mileage and for a Yugo price.... is the really to much to ask?

In all seriousness, the car will be rarely see a track of any kind, maybe once or twice a year, maybe once every two years. The only tracks around me are drag strips, so when we go to a track it’s a drag strip.. by necessity more so than choice. At any rate, the main focus of the car and its eventual primary purpose will be an aggressive street car..... conflicted as it may be.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My car still has the original 6 cylinder rear leaf springs I saw in the classified someone giving away takeoffs from another 6 cylinder car pick those up for free. I cut the eyes off of the main Leafs in front and then cut the back between stock second leaf and rear eye. I never had a hint of wheel hop with 450-500 whp on street tires, slicks or drag radials. Ride height is perfect for my car and ride is good too.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have the GW L-11 in my '69 and they work well.
Controls wheel hop and improved handling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts