Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start another thread as so not to hijack. I was just looking at Laurie's pictures and something caught my eye.. Differences in the leaf spring bolt placement? Maybe I'm looking at two completely different things somehow though..

??

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
What year is your car????? and have the rear frame rails been replaced??

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
From what Laurie just said on her "Painting Trouble's Undercarriage" post, I'm guessing that the 68 cars had a hole cut out of the frame rail, and the front leaf spring bolt only went through one side.

My 67 has the bolt going through both sides of the frame rail.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I just pulled off the original leaf springs from my 66. The bolts are like Johnny's pictures, not Laurie's. The bolt head is on the outside of the frame rail with a thick, wide washer. The bolt passes through the frame rail, then the leaf spring, then the leaf spring bracket on the outside of the leaf spring where the nut and another washer attach to the bolt. I'm guessing the later years changed this based on Laurie's pictures.

Daniel

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ahhhh! Thanks guys.. Yes, mine is a 67.. I thought hers to be as well.. I guess they did change it. It does appear the nuts are slightly compressing the frame rail from the years, (New leaf springs and hardware now, but who knows about it's past) so maybe it's for the better they changed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts