Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having an extremely difficult time removing the bolts from the front of the rear leaf springs on my 66. It seems that the metal bushing inside the rubber bushing is frozen to the attach bolt. I
have not found a way to grab the metal bushing and
hold it while twisting the bolt, because there is
physically no room to get a tool to the bushing.
I can't pound the bolt out because the inner rocker is in the way. I'm thinking of using a large C-clamp to press the bolts out. Any help on
how to remove these bolts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I just did the same thing last week. The bolt is seized inside of the steel bushing. I had to take the sawzall with a metal blade and cut both sides of the bold. It's tight, but you can make a little room by moving the leaf spring side to side with a pry bar. Wear your safety glasses, and good luck. Jack.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Sawzall with Carbide blades, as mentioned before pry bar to get the blade past the bushing.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Like the others said the only way is to cut it you only learn that after a few busted knuckles though it becomes a challenge but the sawzall does it everytime and once its cut you say to yourself why didn't I do that in the first place.

·
Registered
12,404 Posts
Some people have said they pressed it out by using a bolt and a long nut between it and the rocker, but I remember it was going to bend my frame before it pushed the bolt out. I think I used a 4.5" angle grinder to cut the bolt but only becaues i didn't have a sawzall at the time.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I had a easy time of it doing it this way:

Get a sleeve nut, a lock nut, and some threaded stock:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1184630416-Wedge_001.jpg

Then apply as shown:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/files/attachments/1184630557-Wedge_002.jpg

While I was concerned it might bend the frame, it worked with no issue.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave72: I love your idea, but since my car is a
convertible, it has an inner roccker panel that
takes up additional space. So I would not be able
to fit that mechanizm in the space that I have
between the inner rocker and the threaded end of the bolt. The bolts are fitted in from the center of the car through the frame rail then through the leaf spring with the nut being toward the outside of the leaf spring. Looks like I'll be going with the sawzall. I was trying to save the original bolts, but I think after all these years I would be better off replacing them. I would like to thank everyone for their ideas.

Thanks Again: John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts