Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wheel wheel height are different (left & right) after having installed new leaf springs? Why would this be?
Any suggestions on a fix? Believe the originals had a similar height difference. The difference in height is 1/2 inch. Right is the high side. Any one got any ideas? Thnx

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
There should be no difference in height. If the originals did the same thing and new springs didn't correct it, I would put in on an alignment rack and check how straight the frame is.

G

·
0 Posts
Is the front end the same or is it level?

Referencing the previous post about the alignment, before you do that, put the car on 4 jack stands (set to the same height) at the front leaf spring mount points on the frame (rear), on the frame by the lower control arm mount point (front). Does the car look level? ? Measure the top of the wheelwell openings, are the fronts the same? rears same? Take measurements around the frame, and see if they are same from side to side. If everything is equal, I would say it's in the suspension somwhere.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Sometimes cars just sit slightly tilted....

Production tolerances never vary more than in springs....

·
Premium Member
19,212 Posts
Have you run the car a few miles yet? Installing the spring rear bracket again and letting it settle might make a difference. How tight is that bolt up on top? Does it allow the shackle to move?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I check it again today....the right side of the Mustang is higher by at least a half inch...27"+/- and the left side is around 26.5+/-" off the ground to the wheel well top dead center. Any suggestions? I believe the originals sat @ the same height...I do notice a difference in ride and performance (less bounce and more sure footness on the turns and when you step on the pedal! Yahhhhhh! Was great to toss the steed into those tight turns @ speed! Can't wait to get back in the saddle yet again! I don't know if this height differential will be much of a factor..what do you all think?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Is a large person or object supposed to sit on the right side?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts