Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys-- heres my problem-- I finally got the OLD rear leafs off by grinding off the front studs BUT NOW I Cannot position the rear leafs properly to allow the front of the EYE BOLTS to reach the front Eye Bolt receiver housing- its as though my DRIVE LINE suddenly grew 2 inches. I tried jacking up the hog from a few different positions BUT still UI cannot get the leaf to REACH forward enough. When I positioned the rear shackles First and conected them- any attempt to jack up the HOG all resulted in the shackles tilting backwards toward the rear valance with NO MOVEMENT forward where I desperated need it to reach the front Eye Receiver. Is it because I have already BOLTED UP the leaf and plate to the transaxle already. Do I have to UNDO all of THAT work to reposition the transaxle. I Need Help. 4 hours under the car and I am really beat up HELP.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Youre doing things bass ackwards.....

Its a lot easier to have the driveshaft disconnected beforehand, AND install the springs before bolting the rearend to them.

Then the rear can be lowered onto the springs, ensuring the rearend locating "stud" is in the center hole of the perches.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yup, that's your problem. The weight of the axle housing is messing with your springs. Disconnect the axle housing u-bolts (sit the rear on jAck stands up high enough to be out of the way ... don't need to disconnect driveshaft). Remove the shackles, start over.

Put the front eye bolts in first, then the rear shackles. This will be a PIECE OF CAKE with the axle out of the way. After bothe ends are torqued, THEN set the axle back on the leafs, get it centered and intall the u-bolts.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Support the pumpkin and try placing a trolley jack on a leaf spring just under the mounting plate or slightly forward- if you're lucky you might compress the spring enough to get the mounting holes to align, it is normal while bolting things up that the rear shackle moves to the back, everything aligns when its all bolted up. Good luck!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Start from the front of the car and go back. Keep the rear differential housing disconnected(but raised on jackstands) and install the front of the spring, then install the shackle end and then let the diff. down on top of this. It's much easier that way. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Definitely put the front spring eye bolt in FIRST. I have not found it necessary to unbolt the drive shaft. Just put stands under the CAR FRAME, and also UNDER THE AXLE. The drive shaft actually helps keep the rear end from trying to turn turtle on you. Once the front bolt is in,then install the shackles and THEN lower the axle down onto the springs. After you install the u-bolts,put your jack under the spring to raise it up enough to get the shock installed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts