Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the rear main seal on my CobraJet is leaking. There is oil running (not a lot) down the back of the engine and onto the bellhousing and dripping off. To replace the 2-piece seal sounds like an incredible project that I'm not ready to take on and that I really can't afford to pay someone else to do at this point in time. What am I hurting by letting it go for now? This is a weekend driver that only accumulates a couple of thousand miles a year and isn't raced or tortured in any way. If this will really hurt my car, I'll fork the bucks, but if it's more of a dirty inconvenience, I'll let it slide...

TIA,

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you don't drive it much and can live with the mess it makes, it is more of an inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Kim,

I agree with oil on the clutch being the thought for your day. A clutch plate once oiled can be cleaned with a brake cleaner and then scuffed with some 120 grit but your will be pulling alot more than the oil pan for that. You have extra cars so if you have the space for a car to be jacked up until you finish? So I would urge you to do it the right. The double seal main redo is not a piece of cake but is a very feasible task for the average weekend warrior.

And you will be able to enjoy being able to put your foot to that 428 in the unlikely event you wish to!

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts