Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I'm pretty sure it involes engine or tranny removal are you sure its the rear main it could be the rear tranny seal if it is leaking redish oil insted of the normal yellow-black oil

G

·
0 Posts
It's not the most fun thing in the world to replace, it's do-able though =) I'll let some of the big boys give you a better answer, but chances are you should be able to do it w/o removing the motor...could be way off base here though. Good Luck,
-Ryan

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Since I really don't know you but I see you're a lineman, then I'll have to repeat it twice. *LOL*, only kidding. Seriously, since you're a lineman, you're mechanically inclined and have a good working relationship with tools ect.

I'm an electrician, I changed the rear main on my wife's old Jeep Cherokee. It wasn't fun but it wasn't as hard as I thought. As long as you can remove the pan, you'll be ok. Loosen up all the belts so the crank will have some up and down movement. The worst part will be all the oiul dripping on you.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
Before you get too busy on it, you want to make absolutely sure that the rear seal of the intake isn't seeping. The oil runs down the back of the block and looks JUST LIKE a leaky rear main. Ask me how I know. It's a hell of a lot easier to change the intake gasket set than a rear seal. I use an inspection mirror to see what's going on behind the engine and have beeen careful no to make that mistake twice. You can change a rear seal with the engine in, but it's a rotten job.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
Done a lot of rear seal replacements on small block Fords have you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts