Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the crossmember and oil pan off of my '65 289 to finish my engine detail and am considering replacing the rear main seal. I have what I am pretty sure is a front seal leak on my 4 speed since the motor has only about 25,000 miles on it, but have tossed around the idea of replacing the main seal while the pan is out. How hard is it to replace the split lip oil seal with the engine and crank in the car. The inside of the bellhousing is covered in oil and the oil drips from the where the trans bolts to the bellhousing.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The rear seal can be replaced with the engine and crank in, its tricky and time consuming. Try using the "Search" function on replacing rear main sealor replacing rear main . I've done it on our 68 w/302. It does take some patience, but can be done successfully.
As a side note, is the clutch giving you problems because of the oil drip? I only mention this cause ALOT of Ford V8 drip.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, the clutch isn't giving me any problems but I'm tired of putting cardboard on the garage floor to catch the drips. I'll check out the previous posts

1 - 3 of 3 Posts