1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Not yet, but I'll find out. I have to replace mine. :(

·
Registered
763 Posts
What are you using to remove them? How are you doing it? Mine is leaking a little and since the car has been sitting, it has left a nice oil spot on the garage floor. :( I'll be doing mine after I get the new intake, carb, valve covers on. :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yes. Nearly gave up several times. But it finally came out. Just wait 'til you try to put the new one in. The edge of the block will try to shave off the outer surface of the seal. That was loads of fun.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine was really bad. Went to the wanna be paint shop not leaking. Came back pouring out the back. I pulled oil pan took off oil pump, and knocked out pin in rear cap. I am gonna use the felpro gaskets. I used a punch and the upper moved about a half of an inch. Then I pulled on it and it broke. Now it wont move at all.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
With the engine out of the car, upside down on an ingine stand and crank shaft removed, I used a needle punch. Was very easy. When you install the rear main seal, you want one end to sit up from the block 1/4 inch and the other piece to be 1/4 inch offset in the main cap. that way the seal joint will be buried inside the block and cap, rather than right where the block and cap meet. Helps avoid leaks.

good luck.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Ken,
I like your suggestion. I'm going to be helping a friend do his rear seal on his 78 Bronco very soon. This will come very handy.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I just loosened all the main caps a little so I could lift up on the crank while a friend pushed it through...no issues.

·
Registered
31 Posts
6t9mach1 said:
I just loosened all the main caps a little so I could lift up on the crank while a friend pushed it through...no issues.
Yep! That is the only way to do it.
Sometimes those tools work great and sometimes......you get the idea.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I got the tool. I was really happy. It was moving slowly and then the rope was getting chewed up then I screwed it up in the rope again and it snapped in the hole. Not sure what I will do now. I guess just pull the crank out. BOOOOO

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I loosened the main caps, took a brass drift punch and tapped a little while turning the crank. It broke loose and I pulled it out with needle nose pliers. The kit from Autozone rarely works correctly.
Ken

·
Registered
763 Posts
can you get pics, joker? I want to know what I'm getting myself into. :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the tool out. Man what a pain. Here is a question. You said that you loosened the main caps. How will that help if the trans and front of engine is still together? I already had them loose and it didnt do anything. I will get pictures.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I think I got out all the seal. After I dropped the trans and pulled down the crankshaft a little bit. Now, do I cut these off?? (the tab on the seal)

http://72.232.65.197/venom/IMG_2568.JPG

http://72.232.65.197/venom/IMG_2569.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts