Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I took the rear seat out of my car because I wanted to take up the back half of the carpeting, under the seats I found that there was some rust working its way through, fortunately not all the way yet. However, the padding that was underneath the back seat and is under the carpet, which is original, was a little bit wet back under the seat, so I took it out.

Some of it got pretty messed up when I took it out, but it'll be a few weeks before I get new padding to put back in. So here's my question...

Will it be ok to put the seat back in without the padding under it? I'm going to get in and fix all the rusty areas early next week when I have time so unless I have to weld in patches and do some actual work, then I'm going to spray the whole back with some good epoxy primer. I'd like to put the seats back in afterward so I can get 'em out of the living room :p

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Number one question......HOW did the padding/carpet get wet in the first place?? Sounds like leaky rear window. If you don't fix the cause, the water will just keep on doing it's thing. :naive:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I took the back deck and cardboard out that were behind the seat, it did look like water had come in at some point but it was raining pretty good while I was doing it and the car is outside, and nothing was coming through. :: I'll try to replace the weather stripping though while it's all accessable. It actually looked like the water had come from underneath or off to the passengers side somewhere. That's my first step after cleaning off all the rust, before I prime it. This is probably only a temporary repair because I'd like to gut the whole car this summer and make sure it's all good and then change the color so as long as it doesn't rust through the floor in the next 4 1/2 months I'll be happy.

I just would like to know if I can put the seats back in temporarily without the padding or if I should leave everything out until I get new padding and what not?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts