Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
66 shelby clone,r model front,plexiglass 1/4 windows,roll bar, thinking about deleting rear seat and putting in a rear tray,,,,,, opinions????

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i say... in any street car keep a back seat, if nothing else it just looks right

·
Administrator
19,311 Posts
If your rollbar has a permanent crossbar, you shouldn't allow anyone in your backseat anyway. Even with lapbelts the bar can be deadly to rearseat passengers in an accident.
If you use a removable center bar, than it's no problem.
That said, my center bar is welded in. My back seat is still in too. Mainly because it's in good shape and I hate give the "running ponies" in the vinyl. Since my home made swing-out door bars are progressing well, I may make my center bar removable too. Until then no one is allowed to sit back there. Period.
On a race car it makes perfect sense, but no backseat in a street car always make the interior look too empty or incomplete to me.

·
Administrator
19,444 Posts
Go for it! My fastback will have a permanent folddown rear seat. There actually won't even be a seat underneath as I'm going to have storage there instead for electrical and sound system components. We're going to build a base to support the folddown section. I don't want any rear seat passengers! ::

·
Registered
832 Posts
I have the shelby back deck thing in my 65. Nobody wants to ride with me in the passenger seat. I cant even imagine 2 more people
wanting to get in the back. Remember if you use the 65 tray the spare tire won't fit in the trunk. the 66 tray has the trap door still in place and the trunk space is not compromised.
jimbo

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My original plan was to retain the rear seat in my Fb, but after careful deliberation I decided to scrap it! I made the decision permanent by selling the rear seat stuff!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I sent you a photo of the package tray in my '66 (which has a rollbar in place).

Here's the '65 style:
http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/1965/65_350_191c.jpg

Inside the trunk, it cuts down the already limited space:
http://www.nvsaac.com/photogallery/images/1965/57_trunk.jpg

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
John, things didn't improve much with the '66 tray use with the rollbar. On mine they cut a big square out where the rear legs pass through. They did however leave the section to the rear of the bar as part of the tray, so they didn't have to attach those pieces separately.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts