Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the FG shelves in place of the rear seat on 65-66 FBs, it's common practice to install the FG shelf over the rear board piece?

Evidentally it is...

After careful measuring of the FG shelf to make some hole cuts to fit around the rear legs of the roll bar... measuring about 10 times before finally cutting... the rear shelf fits like a glove.

Until I installed the Trap Door and realized that the FG shelf is sitting approx. an inch too low... now the holes will have to be elongated as the shelf will need to rise up to meet the gap from the trap door.

Why would this piece be designed to sit on top of the existing rear seat pieces? Rear seat delete to me means.... remove all of the rear seat pieces and install this piece... I guess after mocking up some of the other rear FG (side) pieces, it only makes sense that the shelf needs to be raised higher.

For those that have installed, how did you raise the shelf up? I guess some home-made brackets/1" square tube stock stategically placed on the floor would raise the shelf up to the desired height.

I'm pissed at myself for not realizing this until after I made the cuts in the shelf...

What a PITA....

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,558 Posts
From what I've read in the past, some individuals will build a wood frame underneath to strengthen the rear shelf as the fiberglass is relatively flimsy. This may raise the shelf and solve fitment issues.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rear lip of the shelf is approx. .75". With all of the rear seat pieces removed (including the "fixed" rear board piece), the FG shelf sits much too low in relation to the bottom of the trap door. There's at least a 1" gap between the bottom of the trap door and the rear lip of the shelf.

It's quite possible that I may be the odd man out... The PO replaced all of the metal for the floor system from the rear wheelwells back to the rear bumper. He didn't use replacement panels, but instead used some standard "flat" sheetmetal. It's quite possible that the metal floor in front of the trap door was installed too low, but it's hard to tell without another stripped FB around to get some visual/measurement reference from.

I can easily overcome this issue by building the area under the shelf up to meet the bottom of the door.... I just wish I'd have realized this BEFORE I cut the shelf to fit.

Dave

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about adding height to the lip that meets the trap door?
This is a possibility, but I think the best thing for me to do right now is:

Finish installing the headliner.

Get my glass guy down to assist with rear glass/new windshield install.

Install all FG rear trim pieces.

... and then see where I'm at with the rear shelf. It seems that the rear shelf will need to sit higher all of the way around, not just at the back lip.... if it doesn't sit higher all the way around, there will be an exposed gap where the side pieces meet the floor vertically and the shelf meets the sides horizontally.

We'll see,
Dave

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Dave, I went back and looked at your roll bar pics and see your problem. There are 2 brackets that should be where the flat repair panel is which would lift the rear panel to the correct height. Theses brackets are where the delete panel would bolt to.

I'll see if I can find a pic of mine to compare.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the name of the band that sang that ole '70's song... KC & the Sunshine Band?

Awe, that's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it....

Yep, I forgot all about those brackets. Those are the brackets that would normally retain the static rear piece of the fold-down.

.... I sold those brackets when I sold the un-needed fold-down....

Oh well, bracket fabrication times are ahead. I'm actually thinking of just running 2 pieces of 1" square tubing all the way across the "flat area". It seems it would provide a better base/anchor point for the FG rear shelf to mount to than just on the rear corners and sides.

Thanks for the pic! I knew I screwed up somewhere, and that's where it was.

Dave

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That Mark is sharp as a tack eh Dave?
Pat, that's the great thing about the VMF, there's ALWAYS somebody willing to help.

When was the last time you saw a question/problem go completely unanswered? It's a rare occurance.

Other than having larger than necessary roll bar rear holes cut into the FG shelf, I now have this figured out.

Thanks again!

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts