Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be addressed elsewhere, if so I apologize. I plan on replacing my rear seat divider when I take the seats out of Diane for recovering. The new ones from CJ and Summit are cardboard and look cheap. I'm wondering if I could use 22 gauge galvanized, using the cardboard for a template and bolt or tack weld it in. A little bit of fire foam caulk and some black paint plus some faux Dynamat as well. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for the info! You saved me time, frustration, and money!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think I got mine from Mac auto parts...and yes its 22 gauge. I have not yet installed it though since I plan on welding it in instead of bolting it and plan to run some x bracing behind it(22 gauge is kinda flimsy and will likely sound like a drum without some type of reinforcement, whether its bead rolling or bracing)

·
Registered
938 Posts
I got the one from NPD I believe and screwed it in place. Painted it black and I then added some strips of dynamat to rid myself to the tin can sound. Works well! Actually really helps reduce road noise and exhaust drone in the cabin I find.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I got the one from NPD I believe and screwed it in place. Painted it black and I then added some strips of dynamat to rid myself to the tin can sound. Works well! Actually really helps reduce road noise and exhaust drone in the cabin I find.
That is the difference...I refuse to EVER use dynamat or equivalent products on a car of mine again. I learned that lesson the hard way...its a moisture trap that makes working on the interior metal of your car miserable. I also wont buy a car with the stuff installed, it makes even a quick glance under the carpet at the condition of the floorpans impossible. To me a slightly quieter car isn't worth the weight, the PITA if you work on your car, or anything else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts