Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang -

I'd like to mount deluxe seatbelts in the back of my 65 GT Pony interior coupe. The car is a nice original driver. I'm not sure if rear belts were even available as an option in 65, but, I have kids and, for me, in this one case, safety out weighs absolute originality. I did see a set of FORD NOS OEM rear seatbelt reinforcing plates for sale on ebay once, so I guess FORD dealers were able to add seatbelts for owners of 65's? I searched this forum for information on rear hole locations, but have not found any precise locations for mounting holes in 66 (or 65). Pictures of 66 locations might be the easiest way to convey the proper location.

Anyone know if rear seatbelts were available as an option on 65 GT coupes?

Anyone know if they could be added later by FORD dealers?

Anyone have pictures of 66 locations, or a source of FORD documentation for locating rear seatbelt holes correctly for a 65?

I'm looking forward to your expert responses.
Alex

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Does this help?
http://www.mustangmods.com/ims/u/1059/1458/102392.jpg

This is a '66 fb with Pony interior. The seat belt bolts are in the holes. The rh one (as shown in the picture)is pretty rusty, hence shows up dark.

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
Didn't I already respond to this in another forum? The interior belt holes are located inboard of the exhaust hangers; the exterior holes are located just outboard of the frame rails.
http://midlife66.com/rear/rearf1.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
I'm getting ready to install rear belts in my '65 convertible. The holes are not there so I will have to drill them. Putting the Scott Drake logo belts in there.

View attachment 804433
Use the correct hardware so the bolts won't tear through in case of an accident, and if your car is to have dual exhaust, it's a good time to add that hardware, too. Nice ride !!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Scott Drake kit from CJ Pony Parts comes with a large flat washer, a lock washer, and bolt. After drilling the holes I assume that's all I need. Also, there is a youtube video of a guy installing one. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
10,195 Posts
The Scott Drake kit from CJ Pony Parts comes with a large flat washer, a lock washer, and bolt. After drilling the holes I assume that's all I need. Also, there is a youtube video of a guy installing one. Any advice?
I'm a purist in some ways. I like the original Ford accessory seat belt installation kit, still available on ebay, that lets you install them just like they came as an option from the factory or installed by the dealer, but the Drake kit will definitely work. Just remember, measure thrice, drill once! You could do a how-to with pictures and post them here for posterity and for the next curious VMF searcher!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I removed the back seat to get to the rear window actuator that had broken. While I was in there we decided to add seat belts. There is a YouTube video from Mustang Medic where he copies the hole location for drilling from a ‘66. Not sure I agree with his locations as the outboard holes are drilled into the side panel. Stacy was gracious to give me spec sheets from Ford. Will decide once the belts come in.

·
Registered
799 Posts
To answer the questions of Seat Belts for 1965 and 1966 Mustangs, I offer the following :

For 1965, all Mustangs came Standard with Front Seat Belts. However, in 1965, there was a "Delete Option" available where the Buyer could eliminate the Front Seat Belts, and get a credit of $11.00 (first attached picture). There was also a Factory Option to upgrade the Standard Front Seat Belts to the Deluxe Seat Belts for an additional $7.55 (second attached picture).
There was no Factory Option for Rear Seat Belts in 1965. If a Buyer wanted Rear Seat Belts, they had to be installed by the Dealer or by the Buyer's mechanic of choice. The last picture shows Ford's Instruction Sheet for installing Rear Seat Belts on a 1965 Mustang.

For 1966, due to Federal mandate, all cars had to have Front and Rear Seat Belts. Thus, there were provisions for both when the body was assembled.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Font Material property Document Number Screenshot
Font Document Parallel Number Paper
Organism Font Parallel Art Map

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting data on installing rear seat belts in a 65 convertible. Have read the ROTUNDA instructions attached to this thread. When laying it out in my 65 vert, the measurement locations don't match the photos of ANY posted by others on the internet or in this forum. For example, the inboard location, described by ROTUNDA, is supposed to be 8.72 inches from the hump/centerline and .8 inches below the rear seatback frame seam. That measurement is quite a bit away from the vehicle centerline. The photos I have observed all seem to show the location much closer to the base of the hump or closer to the centerline. Hey, this isn't rocket science, but it seems that everywhere I look, locations just aren't matching up. To top it off, ROTUNDA talks about dimples, but the measurements don't match up to the location of any of the dimples. Anyone out there have some solid advice and experience? Thank you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts