Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a pic of what the original upper rear shock bushings look like on a vintage Mustang?

The holes in the body are huge and it seems the bushings that come with new shocks are undersized.

I was in a JY one day looking at a New Edge Mustang and the bottom rubber piece of the upper bushing was shaped like a cone. It kept the shock stud centered in the hole. The top bushings had a corresponding cutout for the top of the cone.

Im curious if those can be bought from Ford?

·
Premium Member
6,105 Posts
The upper and lower bushings on all my rear shocks have always looked the same, about the diameter of a half-dollar coin, as thick as a piece of Texas toast, a hole the size of a number 2 pencil. Place a cup washer on the shock to receive a bushing (if the shock doesn't have a plate), one bushing on the shock with its little dimple facing away, shock goes thru the hole, a bushing pushed on the shock stud with dimple facing toward the shock, a cup washer over it and the nut threaded on. That was it. You might use a phone or camera to look down in the shock mount hole or up from underneath to be sure a PO didn't cut a bigger hole because they tore the metal with air shocks or something.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Hole in the body should be about 7/8". If it's larger than the bushing, your car probably had an air-shock related mount failure.

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, 7/8 hole, what is the diameter of the shock stud?

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
IIRC, 5/16"

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I went to the Pull-A-Part today and got 3 sets of upper shock bushings. 01, 05, 07 Mustangs.

They are in good enough condition for one more use.

The Diameter of the cone is .75" at its largest. The bushing top fits over the cone and keeping the shock stud centered in the middle of the mounting hole.

I dont think these can be bought, so Im going to grab them whenever I find them.

I dont know if it makes a difference or not, but I like them so Im going to use them.

P.S. After I posted this I did a google on the number on teh bushing and this came up: Summit has them for $8.88.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Atlanta South

·
Registered
564 Posts
I just replaced my shocks yesterday. My bushings have a 1/16" x 7/8" dia. projection on one side to center it in the mounting hole. I could mail them to you, they are only a few years old. Do you need the metal cups?

Gregg

·
Registered
10,124 Posts
Monroe P01137 and P01134.
Each of those kits does one rear shock. You'll need two of each kit. Rock Auto sells them, among other places.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: kenash
1 - 11 of 11 Posts