Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,

While clearing away the years of gunk on the underside of the car I came across the condition of the rear shock mounts.

The passenger side mount appears to have cracked sometime ago and been repaired by a PO, while the driver's side is developing cracks. Unfortunately the picture below does not show the cracks too well. They are currently about 2 - 4cm long, and there are about three all told. It's amazing what layers of undercoating can hide!

Is there an effective way to repair the exiting cracks on the driver's side and strengthen the mount area so damage does not reoccur? The passengers side...well let's just say I'm open to suggestions

Drivers Side

Passengers Side Mount

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Just stop drill them and slap the undercoating back on. ;)

I'm in no way qualified to answer you question but I'll take a SWAG at it. I suppose there's several ways to fix that, one would be cut that section out and replace. Two weld the cracks, grind smooth, and then put a stiffening plate over and weld in. I'm sure the Metal and Body Guru's will be up an about soon and will be able to give you the best method of repair.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Here is what I did. I welded up the cracks and ground them smooth. I then fabircated plates to go over each mount surface and welded them on and then ground the welds smooth. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I did the same thing as dustyrelics... welded the few cracks and fabricated reinforcement plates that were welded into place.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2379000-2379999/2379107_21_full.jpg http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/2379000-2379999/2379107_19_full.jpg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the inputs. It gives me a good approach to fix the issue. Looks like I have some fabrication to do! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
A simpler, although not as effective solution is to just swap some larger, thicker washers on.

The original metal cracked because of the heavy load applied to a small area. Using a large diameter washer will spread that same load over a larger area. It won't fix the existing cracks, but it won't propagate them any further than they already are.

This is mostly for the benefit of those without access to a welder. If you have a welder, by all means, close up the cracks and reinforce.

If a Mustang ever had "Air Shocks" installed, you can bet your a$$ that there are cracks in the upper mounts. Evidence of previous air shock use can be verified by noticing that little 3/8" hole mysteriously drilled into the floor of the trunk...

Even cars without history of air shocks develop these cracks. It is a very common "crack area" on these cars.

Dave

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I only put in one on the right side since I converted the car to a staggered shock configuration.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
here is something funny.. my first 69 mach when i was 15 back in 86"... Well in summer 92' i was driving the car back to my folks (i lived at my parents then)in the subdivision when all of a sudden BOOOOMMMMM and the rear air shock shot straight up thru the rear seat (folddown).. talk about scaring the %$it out of you and fortunately know one was sitting back there at the time.. that day i just mig welded up some plates to reinforce the area.. i guess i should check this out on my current 69 mach.. thank god NO air shocks on this one...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts