Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get my 65FB back on the road pretty soon. I will need some rear shocks. The car has 5-leaf springs and some super old KYB's.

A lot of people here seem to like Bilstein. Opentracker has them for $199/pair, which is the most I would be willing to pay for rear shocks. Summit has some non-adjustable Koni STR.T rear shocks for about $60 each. Has anyone tried those?

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
whats wrong with the "old KYBs"
prob USA made if that old

if not the KYB GAJ work well for me

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Bilsteins are VERY good. They weren't around (LOL) when Shelby chose Konis for the GT350 in '65 or he might have gone with them!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
KYB = Junk. If you're going to use junk shocks you may as well go with NAPA or Monroe and not pay a surplus for the KYB name on your junk shocks.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised how much better the car rode on Bilsteins compared to the KYB's. I think you get what you pay for with the Bilsteins. Not cheap but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I always think it's funny when people say Bilsteins aren't cheap. Compared to Monroe, no, they aren't, I guess. But obviously none of you have paid $3000 for a custom Ohlins coilover setup or anything. That's just basically shocks (well, struts in some cases) and springs. Yes, the Street or Track custom Bilstein setups can get up there but they also include the whole suspension, not just shocks and springs. We kind of have it pretty good.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
225 Posts
Bilstein or Koni adjustable.
I installed double-adjustable VariShocks on all four wheels, and at least for now, they're on very soft settings. Seems pretty good, but the ride is still a little stiff.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
My shocks were worn and leaking a few years back so I went the inexpensive route and bought KYB Excel-G front and rear. Didn't really see much of a difference between the old worn out shocks and the KYB so I bought Bilstein front and rear and saw a huge difference. Ended up giving away the 3 month old KYB to a young man locally.

If you are replacing the rear, you should replace the front too if they're just as worn out.

·
Registered
1968 Mustang GT
375 Posts
I put Koni's front and back on my 68 fastback. The car sits nice with 17x245x55 rims and tires.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Unless the shocks are way out of whack on length they have nothing to do with how the car sits.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
What makes you think the car needs new shocks in the rear, does is bounce repeatedly when you press down and release? Generally the front shocks on these cars are deemed more critical for ride/handling. For instance Bilstein (RCD) makes 3 differently valved shocks for the front (Street, Sport and Track) but only only rear shock.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If upgrading to KONI single adjustable shocks is of interest to you, there isn't a better deal anywhere on a set of 4 shocks: KONI adjustable shocks - $385 / set of 4
Damn that's tempting. I'm gonna sleep on it. If someone beats me to it that's fine.

To answer a few questions - I recently put new Gabriels on the front, just because I had a warranty and could get them free. Figured I would upgrade later on when I'm not buying parts left and right. The Gas-a-just KYBs on the rear are about 24 years old. I disconnected the bottom fitting and to my surprise, they do still have some force. They gotta go though.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Bilsteins are VERY good. They weren't around (LOL) when Shelby chose Konis for the GT350 in '65 or he might have gone with them!
I 2nd & 3rd the Bilsteins for street use. On all four corners!! They made my 68 ride on stock new control arm suspension and leafs almost s as well as my 2016 Audi!! Tomorrow the Audi is getting Bilstein’s the rear 😜 up front when I can get to it too.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,660 Posts
Bilsteins, or adjustable QA1s. I've got adjustable QA1s on Jane on the rear and they are really helpful because I can crank up the shock stiffness when I'm loaded down with road trip gear to help keep from bottoming the car out so bad in bumps. Then when I'm just puttering around town, I can make them soft again.

But then again, not many people are carrying around hundreds of pounds of gear on a regular basis, so probably the adjustable feature isn't useful for many outside of my crowd and the racing crowd.

·
Registered
1969 Mach 1 351 Black Jade
34 Posts
I have Koni STRT on my daily and I've had to send them back 3 different times because the seal began to fail at 10k then 25k then 40k, never going with Koni in any other future car. The warranty is good tho and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I never knew Koni had introduced a cheaper alternative until recently. Apparently it's not just the price but also the quality that's low......

1 - 20 of 21 Posts