Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 68 mustang GT convertible which has been fully restored and in great shape (ok so I had to replace the heater core and fix a brake fluid leak - oh and the gas tank leaks when I fill it to the top). Anyway . . . I dont like how low the rear-end rides. I dont know if its supposed to ride lower than the front-end, but I prefer that "jacked-up" look. I was thinking of getting new shocks for the back - either heavy duty or maybe air shocks to bring it up higher. Any input on what the best solution would be???. I plan on just taking it in to a place that installs shocks (like Midas or something). Is there anything I should be concerned about in doing that? THANKS - Mike

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No air shocks, please please please,

What I would do is buy a new set of rear leaf springs (yours are probably shot), you can get them slightly firmer and taller than new. Then I would put on a set of KYB shocks (good and reasonable priced. Come to think of it, that is what I did.
You could also think about lowering the front end, many people do, and I will be soon.

TJ -wrenchhead wannabee or is it neverwere

Highland Village, TX (DFW area)

66 coupe 302 2v c4 -daily driver
94 GT vert -SWMBO's
93 Aerostar - hauling stuff
50 Mercury Pickup - waiting to be restored, stored back home

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car should ride level.If the rear is lower, then you should replace the rear springs. Shocks will do nothing to correct this problem and using Air Shocks to raise the rear on a Mustang is not a good idea. The upper mounting of the shock was never designed to carry the weight of the car. Using air shocks will now be asking this rather weak area (its only sheet metal) to carry the load that the springs should be carrying

Greg B

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Could be your shocks, most likely though your springs are tired afer 30+ years.
Personally, leave Midas far far away. Post where you live and a fellow VMF'r probably has a better place to get these fixed; or find a local Mustang club and ask them.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i needed more room in my wheelwells for taller wider tires
i tried air shocks....RODE LIKE A BRICK AND LOST TRACTION
i then tried an adjustable shackle kit...REAR SWAYED TOO MUCH
i then bought new leafs and had them re-arched
THAT WAS IDEAL

SEAN

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I agree with all the posters. I would suggest getting Eaton leaf springs as they seem to be the most consistent out there in regards to ride height when you order for specific application. I have been using KYBs on all my cars including my Boss 302 and have been very satisfied, considering the low buy-in cost. When you have the springs off, you can go ahead and replace that leaking tank and detail your rear-end and the underneath of your car....

randy

http://www.bossman-motorsports.com/bossbanner2.gif
http://www.bossman-motorsports.com

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to cure my '66 coupe's sagging rear with air shocks. It was totally unsatisfactory--I ended up with a jarring ride and lived in constant fear of clobbering the upper mounting point on bumps. I'm not sure air shocks do much for handling, either. I've since replaced the rear springs with HD four-leafs and installed gas shocks from Mustangs Plus. Much better.
LarryJ

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW - thanks for all the great info! SO . . . it sounds like the best thing to do is replace the leaf springs and probably the shocks while I'm at it. I'm not sure I'm up to doing this myself, so if anyone any ideas where I can take it in Southeastern Michigan (live in Brighton) that is reasonable let me know. again THANKS!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it only leaked a little when I filled it to the top for the winter. I suppose it could just be the neck, but it appears to be coming from the forward part of the tank.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that air shocks used in moderation could be a temporary fix. I have Gabriel Hi-Jackers in my '66 coupe and rather like them. With too much air in them they will be harsh, but then, so are the 620 lb. front springs. I've used air shocks in Mustangs and Cougars (as weell as other brands) for over 20 years and have never had a problem.

Do yourself a favor, though, and DON'T go to Midas, as you suggested. That is without a doubt the biggest rip-off company on the face of the earth. Rumor has it they actually have a mechanic that knows what he's talking about, but noone is sure what part of the country he's located in.

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the love of God man, stay away from Midas, Firestone or any other chain.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I found a local frame shop that specializes in classic automobiles. The owner sounded pretty knowledgeable. I'll bring it in and get an estimate. Does anybody have any idea what is a reasonable price to pay for new rear springs? Can the springs be "re-built" - If so is it worth it?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Contact Eaton Detroit Springs at www.eatonsprings.com
I got a quote from them last year for about $200 or so. I've heard of places that re-arch springs, but they will eventually sag again. After going through the trouble of removing them, you're better off just getting new ones. I bought mine from the local Ford dealership.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I agree regarding re-arched springs. Get a good pair of new. Find a Mustang Parts place that sells the correct spring for your car - or you can go with Eibach as some one else suggested. Beware of places that sells one spring irregardless if your car is a V8 or I6 or Coupe vs convert.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I always thought that MIDAS stood for Men Involved in Deranged Animal Sex.

I suppose you could go there if you wanted to. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

http://www.hurtle.com/cars/mustang/sig.gif
Please contribute to my Reproduction Parts Rating Site

1 - 16 of 16 Posts