Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I installed a gently loved set of 4.5 leaf mid eye Scott Drake springs I bought off of ophthos. My old springs were pretty shot but I liked the ride height and I knew installing fresh springs was probably going to raise the back, well it did. With my old springs and 215/60/15 tires from the floor to fender lip was 25.50". After installing the mid eyes I was 26.25". Just a tad higher then I liked. I was thinking of getting 1/2" to 1" lowering blocks. This morning for what ever reason I was thinking when you install new stock lower front arms you shouldn't tighten them up until you have the weight of the car on them. Hmmm, this should apply in theory to the back. So I loosened the front bolt on each spring and bounced the back of the car. I heard a creak as the springs slipped in the front mount. I went from 26.25" to 25.50". Just what I wanted, the car is sitting great and I'm very pleased.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
It's totally normal... It takes about 2.5 to 3 years of driving to "Settle" the Rear springs.

To speed up the process, Most people put weights in the trunk....no lie...

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts