Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They're not that big, 4" X 6" biaxial. I'm not concerned about concourse look. I've been radio-less for a number of years. New radio is on it's way.
I had a stereo in it that I installed back in 2005. I built small boxes for rear speakers and put them in the trunk along with a sub... it worked, but not very well. Thinking about putting the rear speakers in the side panels beside the back seat, but I'm not sure if the convertible frame will run into them when the top's down.
Anyone have a solution?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Frankie, I looked and looked and couldn't a solution. I ended up putting kick panel speakers in but that is not an idea spot for a convertible. I still think you could put something just above the armrest in the back but you'll need to find some very shallow speakers.

One option would be to mount these and surface mount them. Only issue is the rear passangers might be cramped, but than again, who cares. I'll be driving!

·
Premium Member
4,383 Posts
I have always thought a small box under each seat where the rear passenger's toes would go may be doable, or a speaker could be mounted with mesh or grille in the leading edge of the seat bottom, and keep things relatively stock looking. I've also been sketching something that would conceal under the dash above the driver and front passenger's feet, just not sure how I would attach it on the firewall side. Would hate to cut good interior quarters or doors just for some tunes.

Reactions: arbys

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I bought the car it already had holes in the doors. I put speakers there. I'll be keeping them. I saw rear speakers in the back seat side panels at a car show, but it was a coup. I was just wondering if it was also a common practice in a convertible... I guess not.
I'm still gonna take one of my boxes apart and see if the frame will clear it. If it does, I'll be cutting some holes. If not, then it's boxes in the trunk.
I was just hoping that someone here had already done it successfully.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
I'd get a pair of repro quarter trim panels, new quarter trim upholstery, and mount the speakers in them. Using flat enough grilles, painted to match, they'd look like they belong there.

These would do. They also have the advantage of being a vintage style, these were common when the cars were new-

·
Registered
50 Posts
When I did mine 65 vert I had kickpanel speakers, the dash speaker, speakers on the sides of the back seat and finally a 10 inch self powered subwoofer in the trunk and it sounds great with just the right amount of bass.

rear seat speaker.jpg

sub.jpg

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd get a pair of repro quarter trim panels, new quarter trim upholstery, and mount the speakers in them. Using flat enough grilles, painted to match, they'd look like they belong there.

These would do. They also have the advantage of being a vintage style, these were common when the cars were new-
One of the panels isn't original to the car anyway so I won't need the repros. I'll just cut what I gut :)
Those covers will work nicely. Thank you David.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I did mine 65 vert I had kickpanel speakers, the dash speaker, speakers on the sides of the back seat and finally a 10 inch self powered subwoofer in the trunk and it sounds great with just the right amount of bass.
I hadn't thought of mounting the rear speakers lower like you show... that's a great idea. Thanks!
Radio is due in tomorrow. I pulled the dash and the old radio out earlier tonight.
This is good!

·
Registered
998 Posts
It's certainly possible to mount speakers within the rear rear quarter panels. A previous owner had speakers installed in my green 65, which I removed. It can be done staying above the rear seat bottom and bellow the convertible rear seat panel. Other than installing speakers in the dash, kick panels, or doors, one can get creative. I've seen people instal speakers in the seat risers under the front seats. Revology makes custom rear quarter panels for their cars that they might sell, but I think they require power windows since they place the speaker where the rear window crank sits.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed low profile speakers in my rear quarter panels of my early '65 Vert.
The speakers you show are what I have in my doors. The location you show for the rear is similar to bold69's which is a spot I hadn't ever considered, so ditto on the location. That's where I'm planning to go. When I thought about the panels, I was considering the upper portion... the vertical part of the "L". That's where I saw them on that coup. Never thought of the lower, horizontal part of the panel.
I ordered a pair of the covers 22GT suggested. I think everything will work out nicely.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
978 Posts
Someone had already cut 6x9 speaker holes in my 67 when I bought it, but they had covered up the ash tray hole with fiberglass. Which is ok with me since I don't smoke or expect anyone to smoke in my car. So i kept it as is and just covered up the speakers with new material so you don't see them. You can still hear them pretty well. I also have a sub in the rear since i wanted to be able to hear my music when cruising.

·
Registered
167 Posts
In my convertibles 68 and 70 I have a pair of Bose 101's on the rear floorboards. Sound is decent and as long as no passengers in the back no problem. They each have about 6 feet of extra wire so they can me put on the rear deck for picnics or beach.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
...a few more of "behind the scenes". Hope this helps others
OK I'm thoroughly intrigued! Do you have specifics on the speaker? I always thought you could put on there but didn't think I could find a speaker shallow enough to fit. If i can get rear speakers along with my kick panel ones and my dual voice coil dash speaker, I could have full surround sound! Isn't that what everyone needs in a convertible?

Seriously though, I want to do this. Any specifics on the speakers and grills would be great.

@bold69 what did you use for speakers?

·
Registered
542 Posts
In my convertibles 68 and 70 I have a pair of Bose 101's on the rear floorboards. Sound is decent and as long as no passengers in the back no problem. They each have about 6 feet of extra wire so they can me put on the rear deck for picnics or beach.
Gumbo,
I like the idea of using speakers without having to alter the car, but have some naive stereo questions:
1. Does one need 12v-specific speakers, or do you just need the right ohms to match the stereo head you're using?
2. I always heard that you need a Bose stereo to use Bose speakers. I'm sure that's likely internet BS and may not be true, and at a minimum, there is a work-around. What stereo unit are you using to power your 101's?
Thanks.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Kenash: I really like those speaker grilles. Where did you source them? They would look great in the 70 convert i'm finishing as it has white interior.
..John

·
Registered
167 Posts
Gumbo,
I like the idea of using speakers without having to alter the car, but have some naive stereo questions:
1. Does one need 12v-specific speakers, or do you just need the right ohms to match the stereo head you're using?
2. I always heard that you need a Bose stereo to use Bose speakers. I'm sure that's likely internet BS and may not be true, and at a minimum, there is a work-around. What stereo unit are you using to power your 101's?
Thanks.
Hi Baloo,
My Bose speakers are run off a standard Kenwood Am/fm cassette. It's nothing fancy and probably doesn't put out more than 30 watts each channel. My 101's are marked 4 ohms. I picked up one pair used off Craigslist and the other pair were some NOS stock found on eBay. They were about $100 for the pair. CL pair was $40, can't go wrong at that price. The speakers themselves look to be easy to replace with the top grille taken off.
Walt

1 - 20 of 25 Posts