Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original bushings, rusted well to the bolt. BFH did not budge them, so I got the Sawzall out. 18 tpi metal blades took the outer, nut-side right off. The other side of the inner sleeve seems to have slipped inside of, or rusted itself solidly to, the frame-side of the bracket.

I do not know what that sleeve is made of, but my Sawzall blades do not even scratch it. These are the standard bi-metal blades designed for cutting metal. Any ideas? Are there other blades? I do not have a torch, but I am considering getting one.

I look forward to your advice.

Mark

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Perhaps a die grinder (NOT a dremel) with a carbide burr....grinding the head and nut off if the sleeve is so impermeable.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
IIRC, someone here recommended carbide blades. Be careful if you use a torch that close to the gas tank.

Joe

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I finally worded my search properly, and found results. It appears I am headed to the store to get some thin cut-off discs for my die grinder.

Happy New Year.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I used a 4 1/2 in cut-off wheel on my angle grinder and found it wasn't able to penetrate deep enough. On one side I was able to use a breaker bar and socket and rotate the bolt around to cut the other half. Switched to a 5 or 6 in cutoff disc and this able to get better penetration. Most of the guys here have used a sawzall with carbide blades to cut through the bolt.

·
Registered
915 Posts
If all else fails. Use some heat on it get that torch out. You should'nt have to worry to much about the front eyelet. Just be careful of the gas lines which shouldnt be in that area anyways. And of course other combustibles such as Rubber and dont heat your floorpans too much.If your facing that way.Anyways Good luck It's a PITA when your on Jack stands and not a lift.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just had the same problem, But my saw blades worked, I had Dewalt bi-metal blades went though 1 pack but it worked. The sleave is very hard, but once you get into it the blades will cut.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm going to replace my leaf springs next week. Better stock up on sawzall blades and cut off wheels.
Do all the bolts stick or just some?

Couldn't you create just enough room on the inside of the brackets to get the cutters on the bolt only and not the sleeve or is it that tight of a fit??

·
Registered
158 Posts
No they dont do it ALL the time. Just most. My right side came off with no problem my left was stuck. Next what normaly happens is the sleave rusts on the bolt next to one of the fame eyelets, which gives no place to get a blade or wheel in to just cut the bolt.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
I cut out the old using carbide sawz-all blades. Make sure that the new bolt is hardened. A generic regular old run of the mill ungraded home depot special of a bolt will fail and usually at the least convenient moment. Before installing the new bolt into the new bushing, I applied a very generous coat of anti-seize compound. A few years down the road you (or the new owner, mechanic, etc) will thank youself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts