Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So trying to figure out what is the best way to go in my situation. Getting back to working on my 70 Mach 1, lots has been planned and many parts already purchased. I'm looking at doing a minitub on it and am swaying towards the MTF tubs. Looked at the DS tubs and Dynacorn tubs but don't really want to deal with interior mods.
I already have the SorT coilover kit for the front and rear. Years ago I purchased the Vintage Venom Cobra brake kit and installed it. That's where I'm hoping to get some advice from someone that may know or can give me better advice then my thinking.

In the rear the Vintage Venom kit uses a bracket for the caliper and a hubcentric spacer that moves the wheel out approximately 7/16". The MTF mimitubs give around 2" more of width in the wheelwell, if I understand correctly. (Has anyone done these on a 69-70 that would share some pictures? If so there appears to be a section towards the front that the tub doesn't sit flush with the rail. What is the measurement from the rail to the inner edge of the tub in that area?). So the SorT rear kit I purchased you weld the brackets on your rear housing. Figured since I have the rear out I'm thinking about narrowing it to get my 7/16" back on each side. Well you know what happens when car guys start thinking. Now I'm debating if I should just go down to the width of a 65-66 rear.

65-66 57.25"
58.375" If I remove 7/16" per side for a total of ⅞".
69-70 59.25"

I assume this rear measurement is housing flange to housing flange. Is that correct?

In the attached pictures it shows currently how the car sits. The rear tires are:

Rims: 17x10.5
Back Spacing: 6.8" (174mm)
Offset: +28mm (1.10")
Tires 315/35/17's

I'm staying with this size tire at minimum, but will explore going wider if I can. I've also thought about calling Quick Performance and just getting them to do a new housing for me. If I go with the 65-66 width, will my axles work as they are? Can I just have them shortened and resplined if needed? They are 31 spline axles.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Grab, do you have any more pictures of how full are the wheelwells ? What tyres and wheels are on the front ? And what suspension are you running in the back ? I believe you'll run into the leaf springs before you get to use all of the room any of the minitubs offer. What if you just fixed the pinch points at the inside front corners of the rear wheelwells and called it good ? Got any good underneath pics of how everything you have fits ? I am looking at the same sort of situtation on my 69. LSG

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'll try to get a few more pics. Right now I am running a leaf spring setup in the rear, 5-leaf mid-eyes.
I am in the process/planning stages of installing a SorT rear coilover 3-link setup, it's just sitting in the shop waiting patiently. LOL This is why I'm looking into the minitubs and/or narrowing the rear to either gain back the width loss with the Vintage Venom brake kit that uses a 7/16 hubcentric wheel spacer that goes between the axle and rotor. I ultimately want to get the rear just a tad lower and if all this allows me to run an even wider tire than that's a bonus. Oh I already did the front inner wheel well clearance with the BFH deal.

Here's spec for the rim's that I have written on a doc I saved:

Front:

Style: Bullitt Finish: Anthracite
Size: 17x8 Centercap Size: Large (2-1/2")
Back Spacing: 5.72" (145mm) Offset: +30mm (1.18")
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5" (5x114.3mm) Fitment: 94-09 V6, GT, Bullitt,
Mach 1, and Cobra.*

Tires are 245/45/17

Rear:

Style: Bullitt Finish: Anthracite
Size: 17x10.5 Centercap Size: Large (2-1/2")
Back Spacing: 6.8" (174mm) Offset: +28mm (1.10")
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5" (5x114.3mm) Fitment: 94-04 V6, GT, Bullitt,
Mach 1, and 94-98 Cobra*

Tires are 315/35/17 Sumotomos

I am using the Vintage Venom Cobra brake kit, it uses a
1" hubcentric spacer in the front and a 7/16" in the rear.

Clearanced the front corner of the inner wheel well with a big hammer. Also cut the outter tab off the bump stops. Stock width rear end as far as I know.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a SoT 3-link rear set-up for my build that I have installed a 2" mini tub. I went with a stock width housing (full floater) and the longer relocated rear control arms for more tire clearance. I had custom 18 x 12 wheels built with a 7" back spacing running a 335-30-18. The lower shock mount is the limiting factor on this style housing, unless you go to a 19" rim.

With your 10.5" rear rims, I wouldn't mini tub it, but if you wanted to go wider I would not recommend going 2" inboard due to the frame rail modifications necessary. Loosing the stock bump stop (the coil overs can have stops on them) reducing your spacer to a 1/4" +/- and leaving your housing as is, (for now) it should help with the tire sticking out. The inside forward radius on the wheel housing is a major interference, sounds like you have addressed this area, but you can gain more clearance with a little cutting and a creative patch.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the longer link bars for my setup also. I cannot change the hubcentric spacer thickness as using it is part of the Vintage Venom brake kit to align the rotor with the caliper. You said the lower coilover/shock mounts are the limiting factor. I thought they can be moved in dependent on the lower links mounting on the chassis. What is your spacing for the housing shock/link mounts? You don't feel that the MTF tubs will gain me much width? Thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I suppose you could move the shock mounts inboard if you want. The further outboard the better for axle control. From the flange (with brakes) to the lower shock mount I think (its been a while) it is 7 1/2" from SoT. My Goodmark 2" wider (stock looking) inner wheel houses give a ton of room on the inside, even with that 12" wide wheel. Going that wide you get all into the frame rail towards the back, basically cutting it in half width wise. MTF tubs stop at the frame rail and you do not have to modify the interior pannels / rear seat. The squared off front part of the tub is the major area to address and the 1" less depth should not hurt you at all. You should be able to keep a 335 under the rolled quarter lip nicely. I would mock this up (don't rely solely on my experience) with an actual wheel and tire.

I'm guessing you have something similar to this? The lower shock mount is the lower part of the lower control arm mount.

How far do your tires stick out beyond the quarter?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose you could move the shock mounts inboard if you want. The further outboard the better for axle control. From the flange (with brakes) to the lower shock mount I think (its been a while) it is 7 1/2" from SoT. My Goodmark 2" wider (stock looking) inner wheel houses give a ton of room on the inside, even with that 12" wide wheel. Going that wide you get all into the frame rail towards the back, basically cutting it in half width wise. MTF tubs stop at the frame rail and you do not have to modify the interior pannels / rear seat. The squared off front part of the tub is the major area to address and the 1" less depth should not hurt you at all. You should be able to keep a 335 under the rolled quarter lip nicely. I would mock this up (don't rely solely on my experience) with an actual wheel and tire.
View attachment 763367

I'm guessing you have something similar to this? The lower shock mount is the lower part of the lower control arm mount.

How far do your tires stick out beyond the quarter?
That looks like my kit. They don't stick out.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I don't know if I'd change a thing running that particular wheel and tire, that would just right with the lip rolled IMO. If you go larger in the future, add it to the inside and add the same dimension to the back spacing. It will require a custom rim though.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
917 Posts
Can you measure the distance between your current wheel / tire combo to your inner wheel well? I'm curious.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grab, do you have any more pictures of how full are the wheelwells ? What tyres and wheels are on the front ? And what suspension are you running in the back ? I believe you'll run into the leaf springs before you get to use all of the room any of the minitubs offer. What if you just fixed the pinch points at the inside front corners of the rear wheelwells and called it good ? Got any good underneath pics of how everything you have fits ? I am looking at the same sort of situtation on my 69. LSG
Maybe this is what you are requesting?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Looking at your last picture, a little trimming up and loosing the bump stop would be sufficient for your current setup. Having a Wats-link will defiantly keep the tires in their place and you shouldn't have any issue with tire rub (rolled lips too). If you were to go MTF inner wheel wells, the frame rail at the back would be where your wheel house would end up, (you cut the lip off of the frame rail and weld it up) tons of room.

Test fitting one of my friends 335 (that wheel and tire went into a 93 Fox Body coupe) it had plenty of room.

My wheels were actually built wrong to begin with, this is a 13" wide 18" rim, and it still has room on the inside. Note the notched frame rail. 335's are getting hard to find, I might end up running a 315 if I ever get it done. (need to figure out how to put a 315 on the front!!)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Looking at your last picture, a little trimming up and loosing the bump stop would be sufficient for your current setup. Having a Wats-link will defiantly keep the tires in their place and you shouldn't have any issue with tire rub (rolled lips too). If you were to go MTF inner wheel wells, the frame rail at the back would be where your wheel house would end up, (you cut the lip off of the frame rail and weld it up) tons of room.

Test fitting one of my friends 335 (that wheel and tire went into a 93 Fox Body coupe) it had plenty of room.
View attachment 763402

My wheels were actually built wrong to begin with, this is a 13" wide 18" rim, and it still has room on the inside. Note the notched frame rail. 335's are getting hard to find, I might end up running a 315 if I ever get it done. (need to figure out how to put a 315 on the front!!)

View attachment 763403
Latoracing, those wheels that you borrowed look awesome on that car !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts