Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.... I'm not not a rocket scientist, but installing a rear sway bar should not require one.
The car is a '72 Mach and the bar is from Canadian Mustang.
I have the sway bar under the rear axles fastened by the two U-bolts at about a 20 degree pitch backward. The back of the sway bar is about a half inch off of the diff. housing at normal car height.
The problem area is where the bar is suppose to attach to the sub frame. The brackets that were sent with the kit seem to be too short. The reason I say this is because the bolt holes BARELY clear the lip of the subframe. I would think the bracket holes should be at least a half inch past the lip.
Has anyone else installed this bar? Had this problem?
Got a picture?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the S.B. goes up and in front of the gas tank.
You should not see the S.B. from the rear of the car,
remeber this is a ford not a G.M. Someone correct me if I
am wrong.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, being a Rocket Scientist is no assurance of success. My sway bar is on the shelf until I change the exhaust.

Thats the way it goes. The through bolt basically rests on the bottom of the frame rail. In the mechanical engineering world, you generally should have an edge distance of 1.5 to 2 times the bolt diameter to the edge of rail. Others have commented that once they were satisfied that the bracket was indeed in the correct place, they welded the bracket to the frame rail. If you want to weld it on, drive it a few days to make sure that nothing binds. Make sure that the suspension can articulate through its entire range of motion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts