Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Hellwig 7/8" bar, and for the life of me, cannot figure out how to get this thing mounted. I bought new hardware, and they sent 1 pic of it already mounted, but it dont help me ANY. My question is, does anyone have the bar and pics of how it is mounted, or know of any site I can go to that will have better instructions or even pics? I have tried to find something, but having about as much luck as mounting the bar. Thanks for any info.
William

·
Registered
758 Posts
Rear sway bar mounting is weird and sort of non-intuitive, and NONE of the makers can produce a decent installation sheet!

I had to do a customized installation on my Stam-Bar to clear the rear calipers, so I probably can't help you with the installation.

I will say that a 7/8 rear bar is probably a lot stiffer than you want or need. I think you're going to find yourself with an oversteer problem. 7/8 is bigger than a stock front bar and probably at least an eighth too big - I went with a 3/4 only because it was adjustable. I doubt I would have gone more than 5/8 with a fixed bar.

Sway bars, especially rears, are one of the best cases against "if a little is good, more is better." They need to be chosen carefully and tuned against the rest of the suspension and your driving style.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW, talk about fast, you guys ROCK. Thank you for the quick replies. OK, thanks for the heads up on the stiffness on the bar, but I got them in a set, and the front one is on. Talk about a head scratcher that was. Anyway, mine bolts directly to the rear end, and then supposed to mount to the frame rail, but I cant get it to work ::. Thanks for the pics, nice installation by the way. The guy I got them from gave me some extra hardware, I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks again guys, the reply time was fantastic.
William

1 - 4 of 4 Posts