Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete 5/8" rear sway bar set up from a 70 Mustang and I am wondering what the benefits and drawbacks are if I decide to put it on my 69 Mustang. I heard you shouldn't use it on a big block car. Also how do the sway bars mount?

Keep those Ponies rolling.. don't crush them!!!

G

·
0 Posts
I dont' think cars shoud be allowed on the street without sway bars. Adding a rear bar will make the car more likely to oversteer (rear end stepping out). The trick is to balance the front and rear bars, A 5/8 bar on the rear is great as long as your have a 1" or 1 1/8" bar on the front. Too stiff a bar on the rear with the puny stock one on the front could make the car very loose. There are a few different ways that they might mount...most mount the bar to the rear housing and the ends mount to the frame rail via soem end links. Others do it the opposie...mont he bar to the raisl and the end-links mount to clamps on the springs.

1970 Fastback, 4V 351C, various colors with black interior

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Boy - I'm with maximum13, all Mustangs should have sway bars. A friend of mine "VMF -
latamud" just put a 1 1/8" on his '65. Big change. I have a 7/8 rear and a 1 1/8 front on
my '65 track car. I put a 1 1/8 front on our daily driver '68 that my wife drives and she loves
it. It makes the car so much easier to drive. They don't wear out and you have little or no
maintenance on them.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The nice part is I picked up this rear sway bar with all the brackets and the bushings are like new for $15 so I thought it would be a great addition to my car. I am going with a new 1 1/8" sway bar up front so It will be like a new car when I'm done. The sway bars combined with the export brace and monte carlo bar will surely stiffen this baby up.
thanks again with the help guys.
Martin

Keep those Ponies rolling.. don't crush them!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts