Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't started on my 67 coupe project yet, but was looking underneath the rearend yesterday.... On the original group II cars, the inner wheelhouse has been moved up aganst the frame rail for tire clearance.

But then it looks like the springs would rub the tires if a wheel is used with more offset or a wider tire were used.

I didn't really pay close attention to the location of the rear springs when I was drooling over these cars at Hallett this year, are the rear springs moved inboard or did these cars have coil-overs?

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Bob has the right line. They used narrow leaf springs with spacers to one side. Southern-engineered springs made use of a grinder on standard springs in the area where tires rubbed.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They used narrow leaf springs with spacers to one side.
Ahhh, I see... Where would I source these narrow springs?
Southern-engineered springs made use of a grinder on standard springs in the area where tires rubbed.
Huh? Say what??? ::
Oh yea, we call it Coat-hanger engineering! ::

Thanks for the info guys...Always appreciated!

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
There was a spring place in San Antonio in an old Quanset hut that made them to order (you could watch the guy working at the forge from the door).

You could ask the guys at Gemini Racing Systems. They build and prep a number of folk's cars- 1-800-992-9294, 1-602-940-9010 or fax 602-940-9011. My information on them could be dated by a decade; I'll get another name for you and add it later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts