Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been wrestling with the tire size question for many months now. I read the chart and I finally understand that the correct size tire for the '66 Mustang is a p215 60 R14 (14 inch Rims).

But I have to admit that they look a little small in the rear wheel well. Would I be safe if I went to a P215 70 R14 to get a bit more meat (or even bigger) or will that throw off my speedometer and lower my rear axle ratio?

What tire size are you guy's running on the rear (for 14 inch rims)?

Thanks, Greg.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
If the 215/60 is correct then going to a 215/70 will give you a bigger diameter, which will mess with your speedo.

If you stick with the 14" rim all tires will look small, because they are.

You can change to 15" rims and put bigger meats under the car. Then you can take the car to a speedo shop and have the speedo calibrated to the new setup.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Try a 245/60/14, that's what I'm running in the rear (on a 6.75" wide rim).

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I am running 225/60 x 14's all the way around my car. Much wider and you will run into problems running the tire on the front.

My car has also been lowered 1-1 1/2" in the front and 1" in the back.

Original Mustang tires were dinky. Change your tires to what you like and for $8 change your speedometer gear so that the proportion of tire diameter to teeth the speedo gear remains the same.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I have 225/50 16 front and 245/50 16 in the rear. Both with 4.5" backspace. I'm lowered 2" front and 1" rear. Looks great, works great.

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I investigated tire sizes quite a bit when I bought some, as I didn't want to change speedo gears and wished to have a correct reading. I found the 215/70x14 was almost a dead ringer for the original tire size of 6.95-14's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts