Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first floor piece completely in. It's the rear torque box cover. However, it's taken so long to get to this point (I started in like June) that the piece has surface rust on it, not to mention I took a grinder all around the perimeter. Seeing as how it took me from June till now to get the first piece in, I assume it'll take even longer to actually finish.

That being said... What should I do to protect what I've done? A friend of mine told me to go to NAPA and pick up a few cans of rust inhibitor and just spray the area down, then grind it off again when I need to weld to it later on down the road. Is this the best thing to do? If so, what is the best product to use?

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Get some MetalReady from www.por15.com

It works great at removing surface rust and leaves a phospate coating that protects from more surface rust.

You also can weld right through it without any ill effects, unlike any paint type product.

Buy the gallon size, you'll find all sorts of uses for it....

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like this MetalReady stuff is made for etching the surface before spraying it with POR-15. Does this mean I also have to spray it with POR-15 as well?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts