Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rear torque boxes on my 66 coupe. The bracket where the spring bolts on is still solid, but the box itself is pretty weak and the 1st 4 or 5" of the framerail are getting bad also.

Any special tips or tricks in doing this???

I am assuming the critical part is measuring the center of the spring bolt to assure the new boxes line up so that the bolt is in the same place it was before so it does'nt dog track when I am done with it.

As far as tools and equipment, I am a Body Shop mgr at a Ford dealership so I have access to all the right stuff /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I just have never replaced these before......

I figured I would replace the boxes, rear springs and install a 8" with T-lock all at the same time!

Any help is appreciated!
Thank's,

Doug

[color:blue]66 Mustang Coupe 206ci</font color=blue>
[color:red]Six Packer Performance Freak</font color=red>
11.1 Compression/ 6,000 RPM/Clifford Cam & Valve Train
http://inlinefever.homestead.com/files/sig_pic.jpg

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sounds like you have the right idea. Buy the rear torque box and partial frame rail set; depending on how much bad rail you have this should cover the project. Measure twice, cut once and while you're in the rail try to rust proof the inside. Good luck.

Ernie Baynum
B.C.D. Preservations, Inc.
(302) 398-4014
[email protected]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ernie, Thank's for the info!!!!

I figured I would measure from the center of the bolt up to a certain point on the floor pan and scribe it, so when I installed the new ones I would have a reference point to measure from.

Good idea also on the rustproofing!!! I have a 4' flexible wand that should do the trick /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
Thank's,

Doug

[color:blue]66 Mustang Coupe 206ci</font color=blue>
[color:red]Six Packer Performance Freak</font color=red>
11.1 Compression/ 6,000 RPM/Clifford Cam & Valve Train
http://inlinefever.homestead.com/files/sig_pic.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts