Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the inner rocker on the driver's side of my 1967 S Code Convertible and as I mentioned in another thread the replacement inner rocker isn't as wide as the original. It's approximately 1/8" narrower than the original. The fit up to the tabs on the rear torque box is bothering me. I need some opinions on this. Should I just cut the tabs and make some new ones, cut and add metal to the existing tabs, or clamp the tabs to the inner rocker as best I can and weld them up and move on? I had the same gap on the top of the torque box so I just added metal to it as was suggested by several people on the other thread. Here's a few pics of the situation. I am taking pieces I need off of a full Dynacorn floor. I measured the original torque box and compared it the the Dynacorn rail/torque box and they have made up the difference in the width by using a wider torque box, just a bit of FYI is all.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
BFH what you can, or cut the old tabs off and make new ones.

Good to see that the company that makes these has been consistently f'ing them up for thirty years.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
You have 1 of 3 choices I think.

extend the torque box
extend the inner rocker
put a filler plate between the 2 to make up the 8th inch

I can't visualize which one would be the least noticable or strongest option.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it was me I would split the inner rocker on the top and bottom with a cutoff disc. Dolly the mating flange of the torque box nice and flat and clamp the rocker to it and weld it up. Now go back and weld filler strips in the opened up section of the inner rocker.
Just so I understand. Not all the way down the whole rocker, just in that section right?

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have 1 of 3 choices I think.

extend the torque box
extend the inner rocker
put a filler plate between the 2 to make up the 8th inch

I can't visualize which one would be the least noticable or strongest option.
All three seem to be good options. Going out to the garage to look at it a while.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Yes I meant to just cut enough to bring it up to the torque box. It would be nice to see another 67-68 inner rocker for comparison. Another forum member did a really nice job on a 68 vert. I think his handle was @aolshove, perhaps. I knew he had taken and posted many pics of his car during the resto stages and even kept a blog. I'll see if I bookmarked it.

Found it...
http://68vert.blogspot.com/

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I look at that quite a bit. Pretty helpful. And your build thread is awesome by the way. When you put in your whole floor unit, the whole underside of the car, did you notice any difference in the width? I am taking parts off of one of those. I didn’t dare do the transplant being a convertible. No roof to help hold things together.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard their floors were better than the Dynacorn ones. The one I have that came with the car had a bunch of spot welds that were broken and a few other issues. Also heard somewhere that Thoroughbred was no longer in business. That’s too bad if that is true. Heard nothing but good about their skeletons etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts