Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished welding in a new lower and upper cowl and have started on the back of the car. I am replacing the floor (1-piece), rear transition panel, and trunk drop-offs. Everything (i.e. suspension) is out of the car. Currently, the floor back from the seat risers is cut out, along with the rear transition panel. Pic below. My rear TB upper is heavily pitted and I plan to replace it. The replacements came with the Dynacorn floor pan. The rear of the car is on jack stands under the pinch welds of the rockers using the rubber blocks for pinch welds on the stands. The front is supported by the front frame rails just behind the front torque box. The car is level. Before I remove the rear TB upper, do I need to support the rear of the car more than the jack stands under the rockers? Will removing the uppers cause instability for the structure of the car? Any tips/tricks for replacing the upper rear TB and rear transition panel will be appreciated, thanks.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

Gas Automotive exterior Bumper Composite material Metal

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,426 Posts
Honestly they dont look bad enough to replace in my opinion...but should be ok to do so.
Wear mask when welding as that is galvanized inside the torque box.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
With the suspension removed there is very little weight on the back of the car. You should have no problem if the rear frame rails are solid. You can alway place a jack-stand under the rails just to be sure

Reactions: swayzi

·
I won a special award
8,070 Posts
If that's it for rust on the rear torque boxes, i wouldn't replace them. That's really only cosmetic and won't be seen one you put your carpet in.

Reactions: 67six and swayzi

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome, even better. I would rather not replace them, seems like it would be a real pain to remove them. My concern was welding the floor to the pitted metal. I'll treat with PA and go to town with the wire wheel to clean them up, and just leave them. Thanks for the responses. I dream of the day when I can start to bolt on new parts, instead of welding them on.

Wear mask when welding as that is galvanized inside the torque box
Great advice. I recently started using a mask every time I weld now. The smell of burnt primer seemed like something I would rather keep out of my lungs.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
You need to look at it from the bottom too. If there is potential damage you need to open them up and look. If they are solid, you can clean them and not worry about it.

Reactions: 67six
1 - 6 of 6 Posts