Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new rear valance on my coupe, but the person that had it before me filled in the lines where it meets on both ends. I assume with bondo or something of that nature. Should I just unscrew the thing and pull it off or is there a better way? the car is in primer right now so I am not going too hurt the paint or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Don't just pull it off!!! You don't know how far the paint (or Bondo) will peel back. AT LEAST take a razor blade and cut the parting line through the paint, and maybe through the Bondo. Of course if you are repainting anyways...

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with the use of an exacto knife, or a piece of wire that could be drawn between the two panels. If it is fibreglass it may be difficult to cut through. If it is bondo, the exacto knife should do it. Do not just pull them apart, because there may be some hidden screws or rivets, if the last owner has tried to make it a seamless panel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Actually, that sounds interesting (to me) for a restomod project, filling in the gaps in the valances, quarter extensions and smoothing out the rear windshield panel. With the quarters already blended into the coupe and fastback, why not make the rest of the car blend also? Of course, if the panel should ever need to be replaced it's a bit more difficult, but we've all seen restomods with above and beyond body work.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
He said the car is all in primer, so I would take the fast road. He shouldn't care how far back the bondo or fiberglass "peals" ... the more the merrier, IMHO. At this point, it will all need to be done right, anyway. I did stress "gently" though, only as a precaution on the quarter panels in the event that it is leaded, or bolted/riveted under the panel.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Don't do it...
Would it crack even if it was leaded instead of bondo? I suppose the paint wouldn't be able to flex though and cracks are inevitable.

Well, that's why this forum exists! ::

1 - 9 of 9 Posts